1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for simple NAS

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Octopuss, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I would appreciate any tip for good NAS suitable for home use. I don't need anything NASA-like, it's basically just for backup purposes for the few computers we have in the house. I guess the only requirement is gigabit interface. Oh and price under 200 eur (USD ~260).

I don't know jack shit about this, only that guys in my former job were fond of Synology.
  2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    freenas and an old machine with a few drive bays for your storage.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    That's not what I asked for, sorry. I want a box.
  4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Dobry vecer chobotnice.

To give a good answer to your question, please say a little more what you want the NAS to do, and what kind of "backup" you are expecting. Central store of files for everyone to access (file server, like media or data files), or archive (manually push), or frequent backup (push or pull). Push, meaning the client manually or by software pushes the backup to the NAS, or pull, meaning the NAS automatically pulls a backup from the client.

These questions are important. Because a simple cheap NAS like a linkstation might be enough, or perhaps you need something more sophisticated like a QNAP.

What about me? Well I used to have a linkstation. I then replaced it with an Atom x86 rack mount 1UE box. Why? Faster. Much more flexible. x86 environment. RAID. NTFS filestructure. And I also loaded HTTP and FTP webserver, so I could make my "NAS" available from the internet when I travel.
  5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    That is what I would go with too. Much more robust and probably much cheaper as well.
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    $89 for a 1TB Seagate or WD "cloud" NAS...can't be beat in most situations. Power needs of a full rig will be far larger.

Easier if you have old hardware, sure, but if you don't...external NAS enclosures really sip the juice. Compare 25 W to 250 W over 5 years...
  7. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    To answer lemon's question: just a simple backup of users' files. Not sure how else to describe it. My idea is to synchronize all the documents every week, so nothing huge. Me myself, I'd copy all my music and movies there in case I get my data drive wiped by screwed up Windows setup again.
    Basically, it will just hold some random files. No streaming, nothing. Very simple. Just like if you burn your personal photos to a DVD once a while.

I've already decided about disks - 2xWD red 3TB. Planning to use RAID1.
  8. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    looks like Synology DS212j won.
  9. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
  10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for the tip. Unfortunately the max capacity wouldn't suit my (future) needs. It looks nice though.
    If only the Synology had better CPU - but you can't have everything ;P