1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for someone to manage TPU's CPU and GPU database, payment available

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by W1zzard, Jul 1, 2011.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Our CPU and GPU database haven't been updated for some time, which is mainly due to the lack of someone with a clear responsibility for it.

What we need are two individuals to take care of one of those databases each.

Data entry is performed via web based interface. At first more work is required to bring the DBs up-to-date, but from then on only when new products are released. New ideas for usability improvements etc. are also welcome.

A candidate should bring a sufficient technical understanding for CPUs/GPUs, ability to do online research, basic image processing skills (resize, crop, save properly compressed JPGs), reliability and (self)-motivation are essential. What we need is someone who considers his section his responsibility and is motivated to make it as perfect as possible.

Please contact me via forum PM why you are our candidate and what payment you are looking for (fixed monthly fee, via Paypal). This is a continous, long-term engagement, even in times with little new product releases.

Feel free to ask for additional clarification in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    How much time, per week/month, is required from the candidate? Obviously the time it takes to complete work depends on the skill of the person, so just a rough figure please.

3. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    take a look at the current info in the database, ask yourself how many new products get released, what amount of time is needed for maintenance

4. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    The CPU database does lack some processors. What would be the urgency in the update?
    I mean, would there be a deadline to completely put the database up to date?

5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I post on a daily basis like most, have a fair bit of spare time every evening and wouldn't mind contributing to TPU as it has given me a wealth of knowledge over the years :toast:

6. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    there is no set date, but we obviously can't hire someone to do the job and then it takes months

7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I would be more than willing to help, as reading up on hardware is one of my hobbies. However, due to my schedule, I could not commit to the level of responsibility this role requires. I could do it on a semi-casual basis if the need arose.

8. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I think this could be accomplished with member support. Example: If there was a list of cpu's (blank spots) and the member chose one and then completed the details in the given format and submitted them. That way small time donations are spread out. The question would be how far back is the database going to go. I think most members would be willing.

This takes money out of the equation, but money is never a bad thing.
    Also oversight could be assigned to someone for a fee... puting money back into the equation.

I would be willing to donate time. Intel and AMD web sites are not that hard to navigate.

Also, from the request it appears that you want to add new fields of information...???

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. twilyth Guest

Since I'm not familiar with either database, I guess I'm not a candidate, but you (wiz) are leaving this way too open ended. Most people have no idea what their time and skills are worth and even if they do may be loathe to negotiate. I know I hate doing it.

Also, I think you need to give some idea of how much time might be involved - both initially for a person of average skill and also once they have done a few dozen entries so people have an idea of the learning curve.

Of course you have no obligation to do any of these things, but I think the way you have it now, you're not going to get the kind of person you want.

10. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    YOU SAID WHAT I WAS THINKING.

I did some looking at the CPU database, example Opteron X2 185... no picture (I own it) and TWO fields blank.(((see underlined Below))) I could update that missing info.

On a side note: I am not a fan of the double columns for the info under the pictures...for me it makes messy reading.

AMD: OSA185DAA6CD OSA185CDBOX N/A 2600 MHz 2MB 1000 90nm SOI Socket 939 1.30V 1.35V 80.0A 110.0W 49'C 65'C 20F32 90nm SOI E6

Wiki: Opteron 185 2.6 GHz 2x 1 MB 1 GHz 13x 1.35/1.3 110W Socket 939 March 6, 2006

OSA185DAA6CD
    [​IMG]

http://img.techpowerup.org/110701/Capture.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    If this is the database entries you're referring to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they could do with some maintenance and tweaking. Perhaps adding relative performance markers per generation i.e. AMD 6990 > GTX 590 > GTX 580 > HD 6970 GTX 570 etc. Not sure what format but it would give Joe Public an at a glance notion of heirarchy? The same could be done for CPU's (though maybe broken down into enterprise and consumer).

I'd love to help but I'm not IT literate :(

Attached Files:

12. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting the impression "if you can't answer any questions that you have then you're not a suitable candidate". I think W1zz wants someone who already knows what payment they want/how much the job is worth, how much time it will take, etc.

13. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    So you are talking about flat fee for inital database brought up to date them monthly maintainance fee?

14. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I got nooooo idea, that's why I'm not applying :laugh:

15. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Aim high...if W1z gets flooded with offers then we can determine what the job is worth... OR as twilyth suggested perhaps more info is needed.

US: 10K flat, 250 montly.

PRECISION: "A candidate should bring a sufficient technical understanding for CPUs/GPUs, ability to do online research, basic image processing skills (resize, crop, save properly compressed JPGs), reliability and (self)-motivation are essential. What we need is someone who considers his section his responsibility and is motivated to make it as perfect as possible."

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  16. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    im interested in the GPU database.

im on TPU for 4-10 hours per day lol... so motivation wont be an issue, constantly reading up on hardware...

currently reading up a lot on audio.

17. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    You need to send a PM to W1zzard.

18. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    bump

19. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received: