1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by GammaProject, Mar 8, 2012.

1. GammaProject

Thanks Received:
    Time has come that I am actually considering replacing my trusty DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5. Not for any specific reason mind you just bitten by the upgrade bug. Basically wanting any input/opinions as to whether it would be worthwhile to upgrade my board. Though I'm up to my eyes is hardware daily it's been quite a while since I've had to pay attention to the higher performance end of the spectrum, also I've begun to question my devotion to DFI though for no reason other than I tend to question myself quite a bit.

System is mainly used for gaming, definitive parts will be

Coolermaster HAF 922
    Corsair H50
    Sapphire 4850x2 2gb
    Mushkin 700w psu
    AMD 965BE
    Seagate 500gb Sata II

For the board my options that I see are continue with the 790FXB or swap out with
    Gigabyte GA-880GA-UDH3

with the long term goal being to sell off binned old parts and electronics for
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX or Asus Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt
    and a AMD FX-8150

Again with ram I have options available
    4x2gb Corsair Xms3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 @1.65v
    2x4gb G.Skill Sniper 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 @1.5v or
    2x4gb G.Skill Riptide 1333mhz 7-7-7-21 @1.5v
    obviously I'm leaning toward the Riptide set but would appreciate any comments or opinions.

On the fence as to whether this should be here or in system builder's advice so if it needs to be moved let me know and I will post over in SBA area.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    TBH if your not updating to a sandybridge/Ivybridge then your Phenom II 965BE and 790FX board will be fine.
    Crunching for Team TPU