1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for windows boot software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by cgoodman381, Dec 30, 2009.

1. cgoodman381

Thanks Received:
    I guess that's what I would call it...

Basically I'm trying to find software similar to Virtual PC where I can take the hard drive out of another computer and boot it up on my main system in a sandbox type environment. Where I can have my main system running, but also have the other hard drive windows installation running in a window.

If what I wrote is a little confusing, here is a picture of what I want to do. Except I want to use an existing windows installation and be able to edit/move etc. the users files.

And is there even such a thing?

[​IMG]

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no, i do not believe there is a way to emulate the hardware of one PC, to have it boot up as a virtual machine in another PC.

you can plug in the HDD anyway and access the files, you just cant BOOT from it

3. cgoodman381

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I didn't think there was a way to do this, but it can't hurt to check.

I know you can hook up a hard drive and access files. While having another computers hard drive hooked up to mine for removing viruses and spyware, it would be handy to be able to boot it up without having to take it out,put it back in the original system, hook eveything up etc etc... :ohwell:

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree, it would be a handy thing to be able to do - but if its possible ive never heard of it.

It'd be a lot of work for whoever was programming it (and you'd have to manually set the device ID's for every last piece of hardware, since there'd be nothing to detect it from)