1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to build a new system for mild gaming and such....

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by davedemented, Jul 18, 2008.

1. davedemented New Member

Thanks Received:
    For about the past year I've been thinking about building up a new system, but just never had the money and in all honesty never got around to it. I want something that I can use for recording my guitar and to play a lot of the new games that are coming out. With my current system I can't play any game that runs on the half-life 2 engine (vampire the masquerade bloodlines, portal, etc, etc, etc.) Well my Vaio finally crashed and I don't want to put any money into rebuilding it and want to start over pretty much from scratch. I have a pretty good knowledge of hardware and have a bunch of friends that build computers all the time so I'm not worried about problems with assembly. I'm looking for advice on what parts I should buy for what I'm looking for. I wanted a non-integrated motherboard but was having trouble finding one, so I did some research and decided that the:

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/mempipe (seen here) and the:
    AMD Phenom X4 9850 Agena Black Edition here

for a video card I want to use the nvidia SLI on the motherboard so any help with picking one out is appreciated. Advice with what brand/how much ram i should use, and my biggest question is how big of a PSU do i need?

2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
  3. davedemented New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh man.... looks like I better start saving up for the gtx 280s... I am on a budget but I don't want to skimp out on anything like that... thanks for the ram link, I'll def look into it

4. 3xploit New Member

Thanks Received:
    You definitely do NOT need sli gtx 280s. Even one gtx 280 is overkill for 'mild gaming'. Get a hd4850 they are under $200 or a hd 4870 for $300 both are very good cards that can run almost anything at max settings

5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah 2 280 gtx will definitely be overkill. Your spending alot more than you need to for mild gaming. Also the 260 gtx looks like for games it can pretty much equal the gtx 280 w/ some oc for much less. I would go w/ a 790 board maybe and a 4850. Add another later as needed.

6. Andy_007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How much do you have to spend?, it would be a great help

7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Should look into an MSI K9A2 CF-F+ an HD4850, or if looking into an Intel based system, e7200+Biostar P45 + an HD4850. Would more than likely be what your lookin for. How soon do you plan on building?

8. davedemented New Member

Thanks Received:
    not planning on building until I get all of my parts together, which may take a while. I'm gonna try to push for some of these parts for christmas and my Bday(which is in october). Once I get my new job I'll have a lot more to spend, assuming I remember to allocate some funds from my car projects....

I should have been clearer by what I meant by mild gaming... I like a lot of the half life 2 based games as I stated earlier, I'm looking forward to starcraft 2, and there is a bunch of RPG things on steam that I'm real interested in too. That MSI board seems pretty good too, what are the real advantages/disadvantages between the asus board combined with a gtx 280 and the MSI board with a 4870? I liked the idea of the SLI build into the asus board but I suppose that its not really a necessity

9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    If your looking at not building for a couple months, I would wait until that time to start shopping.

10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Source games are easy on the video card comparitively speaking. You could accomplish all of that very easily w/ a 4850. The main disadvantages of going w/ the 280 over the 4870 is money, while the main advantage is benchmark scores.

If your not building this until Christmas or later, this entire recommendation will change alot. Nehalem (intel's new chips) will be out then, bulldozer (amd's new chips) may be too, and those will rock the socks off the current ones likely. Die shrinks will have happened, and at least one new generation will be here from nvidia, probably another from ati. The comp world moves to fast to plan for sure this far in advance.

11. davedemented New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I can understand that. Only problem is I probably won't be able to get all of my parts at once. I'll probably buy my case and psu first, and see what has changed by then.

12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah case, psu, hdds, optical drives, that stuff doesn't change so much. Procs and video cards especially get faster and change prices very quickly. Ram I would say wait too, b/c ddr3 will likely be the way you want to go if you end up w/ nehalem or bulldozer platforms, but it is still quite expensive atm. Once nehalem comes out, prices should drop considerably. I would consider at least a 700w+ psu giving you plenty of room for most builds.

13. davedemented New Member

Thanks Received:
    When the new bulldozer chips come out, do you think the phenom proc I was looking at originally will still be considered an acceptable way to go for what i'm looking to do? Because I know the price on it will drop considerably.

Sorry for asking questions like this, I've never built a system from bought parts before, always just old parts from trashed comps

14. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't be sorry, that's what this place is for (partially at least). :) There haven't been very many details released on the bulldozer yet, so it's hard to say. Acceptable is a concept totally at your discretion. You'll just have to analyze what else is out there at what cost and what performance and decide which way is best (we'll of course be happy to offer our opinions :D). They will be cheaper definitely. How much cheaper depends on a number of things, and is tough to say.