1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to build first computer advice on parts i have chosen

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by likconater, Apr 25, 2010.

1. likconater New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guy,

Just looking for advice on the parts i have chosen i am in Australia so if anyone knows any good places to get these parts also it will be appreciated. I have a case (HAF 922) and monitor already i am just looking for the parts below. For the parts listed below im looking at around $1050AU and dont want to spend anymore then that if i can avoid doing so. if there are any parts you would not recommend or have a alternative for a part please let me know.

so here is what i am looking at getting:

CPU:
    Intel Core i5 750 LGA1156 2.66 GHz

MOBO:
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 ATX Motherboard for LGA1156

GPU:
    XFX ATI HD 5830 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 256-bit DDR5, 800/4000MHz, Dual DVI/ HDMI/ Display Port, DX11, Fan, with GAME: AVP

PSU:
    600W "SilverStone" ST60F Power Supply, SLI ready, Titanium black, 120mm fan, 100% modular cabling system, Active PFC, min 24 dBA

RAM:
    Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 RAM

HDD:
    Hard Drive 3.5" SATA 7200 RPM 1tb

Optical Drive:
    22xDVD+/-R SATA DVD Burner

Keyboard:
    Gigabyte GK-K6800 USB Keyboard Black

Mouse:
    Aopen USB Optical Mouse

thanks,
    Tyson

2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    that looks like a pretty nice build to be honest...

3. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    nice build, but you must swap that hd5830 for an 5850 is faster and draws less power
    edit, welcome to tpu plz fill in current system specs @ user cp

4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU! :toast:

I would either switch the 5830 to 5850 to 5770, the 5830 is not worth the money. Care to tell us what the hard drive is?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. RONX GT

RONX GT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for HD 5850, it is much more preferable then the one you are choosing.
    (Better OC/low power consumption/better in its price range/Superb performance)...the list goes on.....

Other then that your choice is great :toast:

6. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard some shit about the warranty and random quality of Gigabyte...should go to Asus

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup go Asus, to a company when asked, why doesnt your P7P55D LE run SLI?

The tech replied thet is because it has no Nvidia chipset;)

Isnt P55 an intel chipset?

yes it is but you need a nvidia chip to run SLI on P55's

So my GB UD6 does SLI by magic because it has no NF200?

Basically the techs at ASUS are no help, and from my experience with many ASUS RMA's they all take the same 3 weeks to return it.

Im sure the same can be said for any company.

On the flip side, both of my GB motherboards have been rock solid troopers and have allowed me to do some pretty amazing things;)

Just a couple of pennies to stir thoughts.

8. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    He answered you what you expected more ? Hes a customer service representative. If you made your search you would see that there plenty of P55 models some have nvidia chipset some intel. You bought the one with the intel and youre whinning about the customer service...you dumbass :p heheh Next time read carefully before buying something ...im an AMD guy and found it faster than you it seems ;)

9. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    No the whole piont of what sneeky was, the rep didnt know the expandability of intel p55 chipsets and there ability to be licensed WITH A intel chipset which is basicly standard and run sli.

but the idiot said you needed a nf200 which 60% of the boards dont have, and they run sli anyways.

Its comments like that, they make you wonder if there forced to say stupid stuff like that, if i was a rep i would give anust answers to people and not stupid ones that sound like there from paper >.> O;....

Nvidia licences intelchipsets like crazy now and its a need because there litteraly failing and they need to sell more cards :)

sneekypeet says thanks.
  10. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a perfectly good build but for god sake, spend 5 bucks on a decent mouse. That one is even worse than mine.

And as the other said, welcome to tpu, fill system specs so we can help you if u got problems anytime :toast:

11. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    In addition to ppl saying not go w/ the 5830. If you don't want to spend more money I'd go with the 5770 instead. Xfire them and you get a pretty powerful combo and a single card is no slouch but much cheaper than the 5830.

12. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally I would buy an MSI board over asus or GB but thats just me :)

13. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    GB have nice stable and cool motherboards but I should go for an evga they overclock damn nice and have nf200 chips, but you will go for ati so that will be pointless for you
    i think nvidia over ati

14. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wut?

He is clearly budget minded in his parts choices so why would you think he should go for the more expensive (performance per dollar and outright), higher power draw video cards from nvidia?

the 5850 (or 5830) is a great choice for this build :D

15. likconater New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok guys there is quite a few of you saying asus mother board and 5850 gpu. first what motherboard would you recommend??? and i didnt want to spend anymore money on a 5850 that is why i chose the 5830 if anyone can recommend a different option without going more expensive or tell me where to get a 5850 mega cheap :D.

16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if you read real fast or something, but from what I gathered, Gigabyte boards are geat :D

Go for 5770 and save some cash or go 5850 and cut off in other aspects

for example, corsair is usually overpriced for RAM

17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I also recommend the HD5850 over the HD5830 big time, I know your on a budget so how much does that XFX HD5830 you were going to get cost you? I've seen so many HD5850's with really decent prices:toast:

18. likconater New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chaos_killa i was looking at one from megaware you would prob know them as you are from sydney i was looking at getting most of my parts from them it is for $287AU there. any other good sydney shops you know of feel free to let me know:)

19. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Too bad the real reason is that a simple line is missing from the bios code, and thats why the board wont run SLI. Maybe you should get the point of my post(which was that ASUS dont even know what they are talking about, and this was the level #2 tech's boss, and her manager), then even attempt to know why it didnt happen (SLI running that is).

20. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man, I've heard of it before, but never bought anything from them before. You can check out MSY if you like, the cheapest HD5850 I see there is $345, now thats a bargain and its from powercolor, they're a decent brand:toast:, heres a link of computer parts you can get from MSY.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

you can also check out www.pccasegear.com

Thats an awesome site, I thank mussels for mentioning that site to me:rockout::respect::toast:

The HD5850's range from $349 - $419 on that site, which is also good, I hope this helps bro:toast:

21. likconater New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks i got my monitor and case from pccasegear they are great, as for megaware the cheapest one there is $352 so thats pretty good i think i might have to fork out the extra and get a 5850 now.

Lionheart says thanks.
  22. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    SWEET man, so glad your goin for the HD5850 now, you won't regret it:toast::toast:

23. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey there
    you might wanna consider MSY - http://msy.com.au/
    it is one of the cheapest retailers in Australia and I always buy my stuff there so check it out

24. likconater New Member

Thanks Received:
    yer dude choas recommended it and it turns out i can get some of my parts there for cheaper thanks all is there like a online ordering system if so how does it work