1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to buy a video card, help please.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by fxu, Aug 4, 2010.

1. fxu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone. I need a little help finding out what card is best to suit my needs.

Budget: $170
    Looking for: Video card (and power supply if it's not enough with the stock I have) to do some gaming (not hardcore, maybe 1-2 hours a day?) Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 mainly. Powerful enough that I won't have to upgrade much for the upcoming generation of games (at least sufficient enough that I will be able to play it on low).

I do all my gaming on 800x600 or 1024x768 (targets are way too small for anything bigger)

My system specs (HP Pavilion p6310f):
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce 9100
    300W PSU

More detailed specs here [scroll down].

I did a lot of research, but in the end, I am somewhat lost. But this is what I had in mind:
    HIS H485FM1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI...
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V S...

My biggest fear when it comes to selecting and buying parts is compatibility [which is why I said I'm somewhat lost]. Like I said, I did some research and tried to learn the most, and I think I got it right when choosing that. Please correct me if I'm wrong, still a noob trying to learn.

Would I need some type of cooling for the card aside from what it comes with the PC and/or card? Do you recommend anything else? (card and/or power supply)

I have never changed a PSU, but I watched some video tutorials and I am confident. I've done one video card swap before on my old PC.

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    a 4870 is a good card but what you should do is search the FS threads Here and you will probly find a strong card for a GREAT price! also there are some beefy PSUs for sale on there for around 40$.

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. fxu New Member

Thanks Received:
    It says I need a 450W PSU. I doubt the card would use all 450W, but I only have a 300W and would have to upgrade anyway.

Ah, it has mail-in rebate for $20.00, and the PSU I posted also does, that would come out to be $185 or so. Not bad and close to my budget.

I posted $170 as my budget to see if we could do anything below it. But I can search between the cushions of the sofa and pull out $30 more.

I was also looking at this set:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6348624&CatId=3670
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&sku=ULT-LSP550

Any suggestions?

4. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Motherboard specs (HP Specifcications) show one free PCI-e x16 slot. If you haven't put any card in there yourself, then you're good to go as far as that goes.

300w is probably very very tight for a 4850. You'd have not too much room for error TechPowerUP! Review: Power consumption The graph shows how much a computer equipped with a reference (standard) 4850 512MB and very little else draws. In a real computing environment, with more hardware plugged in it'd probably run, but it's not good to run a PSU at or near 100% output all the time anyway, and if you're overclocking AT ALL you'll definitely need more.

Bottomline:
    1. Card will work, so long as it physically fits in the case (measure, if you haven't) check the height, width, depth. Judging by HP's picture of your case I would think that it should fit, but better safe than sorry.

2. Upgraded PSU is probably a good idea - I'd recommend it, and so would ATI's specs -, but not NECCESARILY needed. 450W or more on any brand name unit should be more than enough. Go bigger if you plan on putting in a bunch of hard-drives or anything like that, or even if you just want to re-use the PSU in another build down the road.

fxu says thanks.
  5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Not a fan of that PSU at all. I would get a 400w Cosair. It would run it just fine. the video card isn't bad.if you can find the 4870 in your budget i would go that way as it is faster and will last longer

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea corsair is a great PSU! i would just add more money and get the 750TX or something simular

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Ultras are nice looking, and they have good warranty; but make sure you use it if you buy one. I had two ultras fail on me - one started emitting a high-pitched whine loud enough to cause migraine headaches in a different room, and the other just plain died.

OCZ is a good brand.

fxu says thanks.
  9. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Corsair and seasonic are the only 2 brands i would ever run a i7 and 8800GT on like i have done before. IMO they underrate there PSU's

@m4 I agree that ocz is a "good" brand but there sure not the best. They never have been but i still trust them and haven't had a problem with the 2 that i owned

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. fxu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I'm loving the idea of that HD 4870 (I will have to take measurements as somebody said). But I think that 700w PSU you gave me is overkill XD

I might go with that OCZ 550W. I am not gonna overclock, at least not now. I am just barely starting to get comfortable touching the cables of the PSU (shocked many times when I was a kid, huge trauma).

I'm gonna sleep on it, do a bit more research and take in the suggestions you guys gave me and future suggestions if other people post, and then the moment of truth. Good night.

11. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if I had to pick "the best" it would likely be Seasonic or PC P&C prior to the buyout.

Honestly, though, it was really just a remark in regards to the relative quality compared to everything else out there; and an agreement that the OCZ he linked was a much better pick than the Ultra.

Sounds like a good decision. One other thing to check is whether you can fit a dual slot cooler in there (the slot directly below the card will be blocked by the cooler, if you get a 4870 or a non=reference 4850)

fxu says thanks.
  12. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
  13. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I highly agree that the OCZ is better then the Ultra.
    If i have the $$ for a PSU i will pick Seasonic over about any other brand or a Silverstone if there isn't a seasonic that meets my needs. That is unless i am building a 2nd rig/cruncher on a budget then i will go with Antec or OCZ or a lower end Corsair.

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt knock ultra! i bought a LSP650 for my PC that i took to iraq and it went through sand, heat, and hella gaming with a OCed System and the PSU still runs to this day in my HTPC (Had to replace the 140mm fan due to sand but other than that its 100% Solid!)

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I have heard good and bad things about Ultra. they have there good and bad units but i have always been told to stay away from them if there are other options. In this case there are other options so i'm not going to recommend them. No disrespect just telling you my reasoning :toast:

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Oh yea! true! i just probly got a good one (besides the 140mm fan)

I ran the PSU for about 4 months til i realized the fan was locked down and it didn't effect it at all!

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    :eek:that is amazing! most PSU's would have shit them self if that happened.

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea im surprised it didnt explode the caps but i checked all of them and they are not bulging or broken. also tested the PSU with my I7 rig with 4ghz OC at full load for about 3 hours and it held up perfect and only got alittle warm! its a nice PSU for the money

fxu and p_o_s_pc say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    link me to it bro.I may have to consider it as a backup since i sold my OCZ that i used for a backup.
    when the fan was broke was the PSU under alot of stress?

fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    fxu and p_o_s_pc say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
  23. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Well if he buys the 400w off you then he should try pushing his budget and get this:
    PowerColor AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-b...

25. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    fxu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU