1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to replace laptop ram! help me!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Irish_PXzyan, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Well lads!

I've had this laptop for 2 weeks now and I never once checked out how good or bad the actual memory is. I noticed some slowness here and there and kept thinking that it's the memory being slow or something.. but since it's DDR3, I figured it was at least 1333mhz!

Anyway, I checked it out on cpu-z and it's DDR3 800MHZ!!! CL12! good god I said! HELL NO! So now it's fital that I get this load of bollocks out of this laptop :L

It's a HP Pavilion G6 2238DX
    Windows 8
    AMD A8 4500m 1.9/3100Ghz + AMD HD 7640g " surprisingly good performer! "
    4Gb DDR3 load of shit RAM.

SO here's the deal.. is it easy to replace the memory myself?? Or will I need to get someone or PC world to do it for me? I can build my own desktop no bother at all but I have no experience with laptops. Is it safe for me to tackle??

I am looking to buy 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz if at all possible????

Help lads! thanks!
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  3. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
  4. jagd

Thanks Received:
    http://products.amd.com/pages/NotebookAPUDetail.aspx?id=35 since memory controller is in the cpu it should support 1866Mhz (up to and including ) DDR3 notebook rams
    digibucc and Irish_PXzyan say thanks.
  5. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for that, I think I'll go with the Corsair sticks next week and try upgrading them myself.
    I suppose I don't need to do anything to make hem work without issues? Like it's the same as desktop computers? All I do is, remove old ram stick and replace with two new sticks and boot it up?
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    correct. the slots are a little different but you'll figure them out when you see them.
  7. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Good! Sounds simple enough. Will buy them next week and have a crack at it! Hopefully I won't blow the laptop up while I'm at it :L
  8. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Howdy lads!
    I just found out that The memory installed is actually a Hynix 1600Mhz CL11 ram chip installed!

Now here is the pickle I'm in.. the system will only allow 1600Mhz max! so I was wondering should I spend 30 euro on getting another stick of ram?
    Or spend 60 euro on a Kingston HyperX 1600mhz CL9 set instead?

Would I notice any improvements at all if I got a performance kit over the value ram?

Or should I just buy one stick of 8GB? would one stick be slightly faster than having 2 sticks or would that make no difference?
  9. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Suspect your sluggishness is more likely the result of having a 5400rpm hard drive. Don't think you'll add any speed by adding more RAM. Suspect a SSD is what you would want.
  10. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Using 2 sticks lets it operate in dual channel mode, basically cutting your latency in half. Lots of cheap laptops these days come with one 4GB stick, using only one channel, but making for a cheap upgrade (just buy one more 4GB stick instead of two).
    I would guess that CJCerny is right, you need an SSD, and you're in luck - they've never been cheaper. Now spend a week or two figuring out which one is best for your needs.
  11. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks lads, I'll go ahead and buy the extra 4Gb stick today. I can only find it on ebay as Ireland is just useless as usual!

If I were to buy an SSD, would that mean I need to re-install Windows 8 onto it? I don't have the disk for it either? What kind of performance gains would I gain from buying an SSD??
  12. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I added a small 60GB ssd to my Qosmio and it's like lightspeed compared to the hdd alone. I'm on Win 7 x64.
  13. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    When you got the SSD, did you put your OS onto it?

I have another question regarding the RAM.
    would i notice a difference if I bought ram with better timings, since it's rated at CL 11-12-12-34.
    Would CL 9-9-9-24 be much difference in performance??
  14. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    greetings from an irishman stuck in england (from arklow, i know, southern scum)

the lower the ram timing the better it will perform, but i dont think you're going to notice the speed difference you're expecting. If you're going to buy 4gb more ram, get some identical to yours, or buy two whole 4gb sticks the same and throw them in.

as said before, your HDD sucks and will be the main problem with speed. SSD would be a million times faster for boot and general tasks anyway, and theyre dirt cheap. sadly you will have to reinstall windows on the laptop with a new drive.
    also, dont ever go into pc world, theyre money grabbing scumbags and will charge you for nothing.
  15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    stuck in england??

hey buddy dont make me sparta kick your ass off the cliffs of Dover :rockout::rockout:
    animal007uk and Bo$$ say thanks.
  16. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    you should see the town im in now, ireland was a little better :D
  17. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Many new SSDs include imaging software in the box that allows you to image the hard drive you have now to the new SSD you just purchased. Just look for a new SSD that includes such software.

It is also usually possible to make recovery DVDs, replace the HDD with a SSD, and then restore the recovery DVDs to the new SSD. This would not back up any of your data, but it would put the laptop in a factory fresh state running on the SSD, to which you could then copy your own data. It isn't difficult to do this.
  18. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Ahh hello ya dirty scumbag :L " just messing of course :p "

I figure spending 30 euro on an extra stick of ram would be best value atm instead of spending 60 on slightly faster ram! I won't notice a difference anyway! so saving 30 euro would be better off.

At least with the extra cash... I can put it towards an SSD drive instead. I think I will buy an SSD to improve the performance of this rig. I mean.. loading the SIMS 3 is quite long..then loading the level I'm on takes longer again! tiz quite painful :L
    I'm sure the SSD would sort that out?

Would the motherboard/CPU limit the overall performance of an SSD?

I have no idea what to look out for in an SSD! Could someone give me a good example of what to look into getting?

Also, The sounds of a recovery DVD to set the system back to defaults sounds quite good and easy enough to do!

Looks like I will go for an SSD upgrade ^^ and you can be sure I won't be going near PC WORLD :L
  19. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
  20. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty impressive RAM! but for that price! I don't think the performance would be worth that to be honest.

Anyway, I think I'll buy an SSD first before buying RAM.
    I just need to know what SSD I can buy for the laptop! I don't want to spend loads on one of the best and find out it can't even express it's greatness due to some limitations!

Any suggestions?
  21. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I've used ocz, Samsung and corsair ssd's, Samsung 840's are pretty good, the corsair force 4 I got does the job nicely, and the ocz is reasonable but I don't find the performance is as good as the rest. 500mb/s read and write speed would be ideal, though most are 550 or 525 read and 500 write. I always recommend Samsung SSDs. You'll notice a huge boot speed increase and Sims might load its doodads faster (why you play that game I don't know). But again, games are often limited by CPU and gpu, though loading tines can show improvements with SSDs.
    Back in the day when they first came out I found Dawn of War soulstorm was awful at loading on mechanical, but my first ocz agility sorted that one out.
  22. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    AH very good, I was looking on dabs.ie and found a sandisk 256Gb for €154.04 as it's the cheapest 256Gb there. Does that sound good?
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/sandisk...-s-2-5--7mm-solid-state-drive-8HBQ.html?src=2

It seems to have good read/write speeds? Should I consider buying this?

As for the Sims! I enjoy playing it here and there :p The laptop is limited so I can't really turn on my favourite games on this laptop and nore do I want too! I have a desktop for that task :p
  23. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    The Sandisk Ultra Plus is a decent, reliable, middle-of-the-pack SSD. It won't break any speed records, but performs well across the board. For the money it's a good deal if you don't need the extreme performance of the expensive drives like Samsung 840 Pro or Vector.
  24. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its at 1600MHz currently. not 800. you are to multiply DRAM Frequency with 2 :p
    furthermore HP gives 1600mhz with all trinity setups.
  25. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Like stated above your RAM is 1600Mhz, and a SSD will give you the biggest improvement as a 5400rpm HDD is very slow.
    Samsung SSD's are some of the most reliable and fastest ones, such as the 840, 840 PRO. The crucial M4 is very reliable, but not as fast.

All SSD's will be faster than your HDD by a lot.

Sandisk is a very good brand and will be fast enough for your needs.