• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to Upgrade CPU on C51GU01 MOBO

Geeb

Hello, I currently own a Gateway gt5056 it has the foxconn C51GU01 motherboard, the processor it came with is the amd athlon 64 x2 3800+ 939 socket. After upgrading my video card, and my PSU to a 650W, And adding ram (I have 2gb in now) I wasnt seeing the frame rate i was expectiong out of my 8800gt video card. So I figure that its my processor which is holding my back. I'm not looking for anything extreme but i do want somthing that will handle multiple processes when the game demands the cpu of it. I know i need a 939 socket cpu, but im not sure how powerful of a cpu i can go before id have to replace my mobo. My other question is that are cpus generally plug and play or is there some extra processes i have to go through? thanks.

Geeb

Bump... I'm considering upgrading to the opteron x2 180, does anyone know if my mobo will tolerate this? I also wanted to make note that id rather not over clock the 3800.. thanks