1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to upgrade need advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lonewolf, Apr 5, 2011.

1. lonewolf

Thanks Received:
    ok my specs are listed at the left. I'm going to retain the vid card, case,psu,hd etc. I'm going to have to buy a new mobo,proc,mem, etc.
    The question I have is is the performance of the intels worth the extra money? If so which one gives the best bang for the buck. I'm still on air for cooling so my overclocking is minimal. I curently use AMD procs so I'm not opposed to staying with them. I can get a 6 core Amd far cheaper than the 6 core intels right now.
    Ok I dont want to get long winded here I want you all to read and respond not go to sleep.
    What is the best bang for the buck combos. Mobos and procs. I use my computer primarily for gaming so keep that in mind.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
  2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    No need for a 6 core CPU not at all .
    Get a good i7 2500k or 2600k with an ASUS MB and some good RAM and call it a day .
    You should not be looking at 6 core CPU's not if you are gaming a good quad core will do the job just fine .
    lonewolf says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, your machine definitely deserves and upgrade after all this time... is that socket 939?

Anyways, what exactly is your budget? You can't go wrong with a Phenom II x6, but if you're going Intel, either get the 2500k or the 2600k. Make sure you get a k model, or you won't be overclocking very far. The difference between the 2500k and the 2600k is hyperthreading. They're both native quads, but the extra threads will give about a 30% boost in applications that use it (and about $100).
    lonewolf says thanks.
  4. lonewolf

Thanks Received:
    thank you both. I'll look at both your sugestions. I havent set a buget yet. and Its not a 939 socket its an am2 but close LOL. yea its about a 5 year old system.:rockout:
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, a budget is one of the best tools you can give us to form a solid build with...
  6. lonewolf

Thanks Received:
    lets keep it between 500 and 800 dollars. that isnt firm by any means. but its a place to start.
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Then this is what I would do .
    Get a good i7 2500k or 2600k with an ASUS MB and some good RAM and call it a day .
  8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Can't go wrong with a setup like that.
  10. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    even an i3 would be good :)
  11. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    With the budget he listed an i3 would be pointless. For $500 you can easily get a i5-2500k, P67 Mobo, and 8GB of RAM. It's just a matter of finding out which of each you want. The only time you'll see a performance boost from HTing is if you're running Cinebench (I kid you not), so there's no real reason to get the 2600k for the most part. My suggestions are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X or if you don't decide to snag that while it's a great deal you could go for G.Skill Ripjaw X variation 2
  12. lonewolf

Thanks Received:
    darnit guys thanks. I have alot of components to reserch and figure out which set up i want LOL. Not sure if I'm better off now or not but thanks for the input I'll look at all the sugested setups
  13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Truth be told as long as you upgrade to a newer platform you will see a noticeable performance increase. Most of the arguments over brands and such just boils down to preference*. For example, I have had poor experiences with both Corsair and Gigabyte products so when crazyeyesreaper suggested them I instead posted recommending G.Skill and MSI alternatives respectively. There is always a chance no matter what you get you'll get a DoA part either because of the UPS (or FedEx) guys treating your stuff like a soccer ball or because you just unfortunately got the one bad product that squeaked through QC.

* - Obviously this is situational, but the difference between an ASRock P67 mobo and an MSI one probably isn't that noticeable.
  14. lonewolf

Thanks Received:
    ok thanks for your imput. I have purchased an i7 920,a asus mobo and 6 gig of dominator ram. as of now i have it at 3.8 on the proc. I will play with it more after I get some more reserch done and possibly get a better cooler. Once again thanks for the advice I know I didnt buy anything on the list but I got a good deal and its alot faster than my old setup.
  15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong with a I7 920. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
    lonewolf says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU