1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking to W/C a pair of 290s what is the best block to use?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by springs113, Aug 24, 2014.

1. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I am looking to do exactly what the topic matter says but I am a lil confused as what full cover block I should use. I always thought you don't mix metals, all my rads/pump/cpu block are copper, shouldn't i look for a copper gpu block as well??
    I like the XSPC block(copper) but i cant find it anywhere, should it really matter though? I hate the lights but it's one hell of a block.
    Any thoughts?

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hey I like the lights lol! And they are removable and thus optional (two holes taking a dual 3mm). Yeah it is not in stock anywhere tho.

You really only need to be concerned with active VRM cooling; an actual water channel over those two locations instead of just solid copper. Most will have this though; all EKs definitely do afaik. I recently went with the cheapest ref EK (Rev. 2 Copper + Acetal) and it cools wonderfully though came with a minor cosmetic issue which bugs me. There is a decent round up at XS on this in the Water Cooling section. Linked below is another popular block you might have missed:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...k_-_Copper_Acrylic_23580.html?tl=g30c309s2073

Lastly, everything internal that makes actual contact with the water will generally be copper; I don't think you really need to worry about that part. And nickel plated is just over copper too.

springs113 says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the acetal/copper EK blocks. They're simple, work well and are easy to maintain.

springs113 says thanks.
  4. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    springs113 says thanks.
  5. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I looked at that too, I just didn't like that it wasn't really a full cover block. I really want to avoid any circuitry being exposed.

I went with the EK acetal/copper.

Wow MT I haven't seen you here in a while, where you been hiding?

6. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    I really like the Aquacomputer block that @Wrigleyvillain linked because it looks so darn sexy, but you'll never really see it anyway.

Personally I'm using 2 EK acrylic blocks, and they look pretty decent and perform nicely.

So you already got one? I think that EK block will do what you need. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yes unless you run a Prodigy or some windowed case with the GPU top prominently displayed; I am keeping my Prodigy for this reason to use again down the road.

Yep that's the block I got and am very happy with it…except for this dark stain on one side of the stainless steel section (and of course not on the inside).

[​IMG]

manofthem says thanks.
  8. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Ordered this morning from performance pcs, should be here tomorrow as I am within a few minutes from them.

manofthem says thanks.
  9. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, I do like the full cover block that cover the full pcb.

Plus, a fellow South Floridian eh? Watercooling in S FL FTW! :rockout:

springs113 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I feel I should do the same. The thought of raw performance and no throttling is ideal

11. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I've been around:) I just don't seem to post unless I have something that really adds to a thread or helps out, mostly out of laziness.

springs113 says thanks.
  12. stren

Thanks Received:
    springs113 says thanks.
  13. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Hey Stren, I forgot that you are all over. Your review was one of the major deciding factor in me choosing the EK...I liked the AC but I wasn't in love with it. The EK I gave a little bit more a nod because of all the forum members choices and seeing the PowerColor listing on Newegg, it must means something.

14. stren

Thanks Received:
    Haha yeah I was stopping through and saw the thread, I don't usually post here, but hey ;)

Yeah the EK blocks are solid all rounders - I haven't reviewed anything by EK that was bad in terms of performance. Watercool is another company like that although they tend to favor low flow operating points while Ek usually favors higher flow :)

springs113 says thanks.
  15. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Well I don't think I did in the other forums but thanks for the work you did. The info is great, sorry for the loss of components, but they didn't die in vain.