1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lord of the Rings Online

Discussion in 'Games' started by ShadowFold, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm downloading the 10 day trial right now and I was wondering if anyone plays it. I am looking for a server!

2. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if this game was ever good?

3. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    I have played it a bit. It's not bad. I actually was thinking about trying it again since I found my CD's.

Don't remember the server I am on..I think it was brandy something. I'd be willing to reactivate and play a bit with you.

4. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Let me get the (what should be) obvious truths out of the way.

LOTRO is a modern mmo cookie cutter, that's riding on the wings of a famous novel/movie.

However, that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just nothing special.

The high features of LOTRO are :

A) Some of the best visuals in MMOs. This is not due to special effects or advanced physics, but rather some of the highest resolution textures, coupled with some great clouds/sky, as well as water. There's also a lot of ambience in the visuals, as well as subtleties. Depending on where you are, even within the same 'area,' the sky can change colors to represent doom and gloom or some other force abound. The artwork, and the theme is very realistic, in the sense it's approiatley proportionate to your character and the geometry around you, unlike say WoW, where it's all extreme.

B) Storyline. There probably isn't an MMO to date, that has the engrossing and interactive story / epic line as in LOTRO. It starts even as early as level 1, and continues a long ways as you progress, taking you all over parts of Eriador and even Rhiovanan.

C) The recently introduced Legendary Item system with the Moria expansion, does add a new somewhat fresh element to the game. I will not say it's superb, because in the end, it's another grindfest. But the option and somewhat attempt at variety is there.

Unfortunatley the downsides are:

A) If you're into PVP, you won't find it here. The only staging area for PVMP,(which means player vs player vs npc simultaneously), is very barren these days, and the imbalance of monster players vs free people's players is very noticeable.

B) The graphics have some flaws that a lot of modern gamers would quickly see, and not be happy with. This ranges from:

-texture crawl/shimmering
    -late loading textures
    -a lack of variation between LOW res and HIGH res when textures fade or appear based on your distance to the object.
    -There is no good sense of 3D, with characters or objects, that you may find in say Age of Conan. Everything sorta has that 'painted on' 2d look.

C) Performance. It's not that performance is terrible, as in the majority of non populated areas, you're going to see a 60 FPS cap with something as menial as a 4850 Radeon, however it's the sudden and unexplainable dips in frame rates that gets on your nerves. There's also a really bad habit by the game to thrash your hard disk like no other. Even with 8gb+ RAM and a SSDrive, you get constant read/writes that can start to become annoying.

DX10 is available, and it primarily affects shadows(meaning in DX9, all shadows from world geometry, are static, 'painted' on the surrounding terrain; where as in DX10, they are 'live' / 3d). The other slight offering via DX10, is some of the lighting is enhanced(not really noticeable), and the weather effects can sometimes be a bit more detailed.

D) Community. Unfortunately LOTRO suffers like most MMOs, with the 'modern mmo community,' which consists of ...well..I won't say -last time I told people about how people REALLY are in MMOs, I was bestowed upon me a swastika, so... just think of all the annoying types you can meet on the internet, and there you have what compromises the modern MMO community. LOTRO is a haven for these people, and another place for them to reside in the virtual world. The fact that it's tied to the novels(or for most people the movies), only fuels the fire, for them to make weak attempts at pseudo-roleplay, so they can feel special.

Having said that, if I had to rate current MMOs based on Visual, Sound, Content, Mechanics, Ambience and Novelty features, as well as what I call 'refinement,' it would be:

EverQuest II - By far the most refined and polished MMO ever made. The range of user features is immense, and the support is unwaivering. It also is one of the few games left that boasts visuals that make you feel like it's still a game, but molded with lots of the latest razzle dazzle visual effects(Qualifies with : Refinement, Visual, Novelty Features)
    AoC - The best looking MMO to date, and hands down the most enjoyable 'realistic' action MMO. The pace is just right for the type of combat you get involved with, and the gritty dirty theme is a breath of fresh air in the stagnant world of high fantasy MMOs.(Qualifies with : Visuals, Mechanics, Novelty Features)
    Lotro - Well, I just told you above :) (Qualifies with : Visual, Sound, Content, Ambience)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    Zombie4Flesh, Mike0409 and Castiel say thanks.
  5. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    wow nicely done

6. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Wow..that explains it quite well! lol!

7. Zombie4Flesh

Zombie4Flesh New Member

Thanks Received:
    i never wanted to play this game

8. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    I am going to try this out, see if it is good enough.

ShadowFold, what are you thoughts of it so far?

9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like it. I'm only lvl 7. I really like the graphics and I'm a fan of the books so it's really nice to see some familiar faces and places. I haven't really sat down and really played it yet but I will today. I play on Menelndor, my characters name is Shaidov and I play an Elf Warden

10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    The game only uses ~50% of both of my cores and 50-78% of my GPU so why does it stutter? I'm in DX10 mode, I'm surprised it's only using this much..

11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    We don't know all the reasons it stutters, but it's 95% hard disk related.

There's really nothing you can do about it.

One thing to mention, is that if you turn the DX10 shadows to High as opposed to Very High, thinking it will save performance, it can actually make it worse. The rule of thumb is, use Very High, or none at all. Most people run DX10, but with shadows disabled. You might think 'well out and about the wilderness, there's not a lot of characters nearby, and I lose five, maybe ten frames with the shadows on, so it's no big deal.' While this is true, it's tied into the texture loading - disk thrasing - stutter issue.

Shame you picked Warden. Warden is one of the two new classes, of which completely break lore and make no sense. To make matters worse, they are wattered down versions of original classes. Primarily the Warden which is a ranged wannabe Hunter class, and the Rune Keeper which is a more gritty version of the Lore Master.

Hunter is by far the best solo class, having many tools at their disposal (though not as awesome as Necros in AoC) and their ability to travel/port/quick path is such a nice feature when roaming around doing whatever.

Currently I only play LOTRO once a week now, for the final end game raid, and AoC the rest of the time.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009