1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

lost second partiton on same hard drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Corduroy_Jr, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    some how windows does not detect my second partition after installing windows 7 today, both partitions are on the same drive, all i did was set ide mode to Ahci in bios, and yes i know the reason as to to why windows does not recognize the second part of the drive cause its written under ide mode in which windows 7 can not there for read it, so is there a way i can force windows to recognize the second partition

2. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    need a hand asap cause all my important back up data is on second partition thanks

3. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    im not sure how you would go about fixing the problem...

does it showup in windows disk manager?... are you able to extend the 1st partition? (dont extend it if you can, it will wipe your data)

4. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    AHCI doesn`t nothing to do with it. Maybe just letter is deleted. Assign new letter.
    Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk manager > Right Click the partition and assign letter
    If it says that is unpartitioned space that mean that is deleted. In that case you need to use recovery software to get it back.

5. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    problem solved right clicked on computer then manage, then to drive management the drive was there, but no drive letter was present, so made it drive E, another question in bios was set ahci, but i switched it too native ide, now if i put it back to Ahci will it corrupted windows? only reason i am asking caused i ran into this problem before switching ide to ahci and it fucked up windows boot files

6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    it shouldnt hurt anything..

7. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    k thanks bro

8. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, you must be relieved! Congrats.

Your question made me wonder if a second partition created as a PRIMARY partition is more robust than as an EXTENDED partition. I tend to use PRIMARY partitions when I partition my HDDs, and I never do more than 4 partitions on any one HDD, so it works fine (max 4 primary partitions, but as many as you want extended partitions). But the question is still there, which type of partition is the 'harder'?