1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lost sound out on asus z68 mobo

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by mediasorcerer, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    a thunderstorm/lightning i think the other night has taken out the sound on my asus p8z68 m pro mobo,the power went down after a huge lightning strike and when the power came back on,bad hissing noise[like a capacitor or something]now there is no sound coming out from minijacks on the rear of motherboard[or front jack either]
    does anyone have any ideas/suggestions,tried re flash bios,complete rewire of whole rigg,nothing,!!
    would it be the realtek chip is blown? should i invest in a sound card?would that fix it?

ive only had it 3 weeks or so too,a real shame,thanx for input too.
    Beertintedgoggles says thanks.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at it, does anything look blown or burned?

I would assume a sound card would work as long as you know the slots are functional.

I do silly stuff from time to time, and run things I "shouldn't" but my advice is to get it fixed/replaced over running something that could maybe damage more things without knowing why the sound is gone.

Lastly, is there a sound device in the device manager?
    mediasorcerer says thanks.
  3. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    does the OS still detect the sound chip? its probably in the sound port that got messed up. This happened already on my 2 motherboards, ASUS A7V8X-X and ECS nForce4M-A , Sound disappeared due to power issues/surges that originated from the speaker and externals ource, but the sound chip can still be detected in the OS.
  4. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes it is still detected funny enuf,and the realtek hi deff manager detects it too,when i use the win 7 "sound" preference panel and use the "test" drop down it shows signals going thru[green meter etc],but no sound out is heard,ive tried a variety of configs,including using other minijack for surround and switching it to surround config and a host of other things,but no sound,at the moment i have rerouted it thru amd hdmi sound out,and plugged my 2.1 system into the headphone jack on my monitor,but thats only rated at 48.000khz max or something,not 194.000khz,it still sounds quite good,but it bugs me that its not working,

there are no signs of blackened resistors/capacitors or anything,

done uninstall,reinstall of sound drivers,os too even,everything,total rewire too,checked all of it

the night it went,there was a horrible hissing/whining noise that crescendo in pitch until it finally caput completely,

everything else is rinky dinky no woz ,working sweet etc.

i may ahve to accept its gone forever,my tv card works out of pci slot,and there is one spare plus pci,e spare too,

i just wondered maybe a way to flash realtek chip,although that hissing noise was most probly a capacitor ,from experience,thanx for input you guys,regs frm me.had to voice it just incase,
    someone had a solution,
  5. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    did you ever manage to fix?
  6. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    ^sadly i was not able to fix it, and i also did some inspection on both boards and it doesn't look like it has any physical damage, so assumed that the sound jack could be the issue but not really sure. Ive read similar issue but i never manage to see a fix for it.
  7. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah well.at least i did a work around so i still got sound,i reckon a 50-60$ sound card may be the go,but id hate to buy one and it dont work!!tho gpu and tv card do,so no reason why it wouldnt,thanx for input you two,gracious,regs frm me.
  8. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    discrete sound cards will work, thats the only possible option for me that time, tho i only got the cheap ones, id hate to see my current board have the same issue now, since im on a matx and it only has one PCI slot (PCI-E X1 slots are covered by the GPU), there are also USB based soundcards. If it ever happens, hope its still within the warranty period for a replacement.
  9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh i got one slot covered too i think, the other has a tv card in it,i have one spare pci-e tho,maybe i could get a sound card for that?if they exist/ or its usb i suppose,tho id prefer pci/e tho for some reason,

glad you alerted me to the slot being covered,i didnt think of that,mines matx too,
  10. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    PCI-E soundcards exists, tho on the place i live its not pretty common and are usually expensive.