1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

loud cpu noise. something wrong?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HiddenStupid, Aug 21, 2009.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    my system is loud suddenly. i thought the loud noise coming from my psu but when i exam and put my ear close to the system while the case is open.... it wasnt the psu. nor the hard drive.. my hard drive is quiet as quiet since its the green wd. it was the cpu thats making the noise.

is my cpu getting tired? is it posible? how to save and prevent? performance seems normal though just the sound that is loud.
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Clean the heat sink out. Dust can cause the heat to be contained, the fan then on high RPMs to cool the constant hot dust. Use a can of compressed air, or your hoover/vacuum cleaner to removed the dust. Whilst your at it clean off the TIM and reapply just in case it may have gone sour.
  3. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh damm the dust! should of thought of that. i do see grey dust covering the heatsink and fan. didnt come to mind though. im shutting down and clean it right now!

ok i use q tip to take out the dust. i dont have air can in hand. i took all the dust out. power on... and swooosh still loud and very loud especially when starting up. after 2min the sound lower down but still louder than normal. i want to screw the heatsink out and cleanit throughly but dont want hassle... and dont want to mess with something im not familiar of. afraid cant install it back in.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its bond to be the fan bearings vibrating. Quickly unplug the fan just to check !
    Maybe a new fan is needed.