1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Loud MCP 350 pump question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MT Alex, Jan 24, 2010.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I'm just about finished with my leak test. Everything turned out fine, except my pump is loud as hell. It makes a terrible high pitch whining, like a flourecent light on steriods. Could it be the way I mounted it? It's a Corsair mcp355. I didn't have the pad for the bottom, so I just used some epoxy to mount the bracket solid. Doesn't sound like vibrations, however, just a high pitch whine.

I tried unscrewing it and just holding it in my hand, not much of a difference. Perhaps 355's just eminate an unpleasant sound.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    How exactly does your loop work? From what I see, the pump pumps the water in the res... that shouldn't be. Or if that pumps outlet is the top one, maybe it struggles with the water flow. Sounds unlikely, but it is a bit of a strange loop. Could also be my brain not fully awake yet tho.

But my Swiftech pumps do emit a nasty noise when there isn't enough water coming in.

3. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    The loop is pump>rad>block>res. Just seem to layout well that way, and I figured the cpu would get water straight from the radiator, which I assumed would be when it was coolest. Also, I thought that the res before the pump would always assure that airless water would be available to the pump.

4. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yes res before pump is a good idea. I'm thinking the pump has a hard time then pushing the water straight upwards and through the radiator. Just my thoughts tho, could be something completely esle, but I usually try to avoid straight vertical routes, unless the water flows down.

MT Alex says thanks.
  5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.

I tried to model my loop after this one by exodusprime1377, featured on page 351 of your pc ATM.
    [​IMG]

6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    My 350's don't make any high-pitched noises. I've had 4 of them.

MT Alex says thanks.
  7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Now that I have my crap together, it's actually a Corsair MCP655-B.

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Oh, a 655. Can't help you there. Never had a D5/655 family pump, always DDC with aftermarket tops for me.

9. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    HOLY HELL :eek: That is one obnoxious pump. Hm just did some researching. How long have you been bleeding your loop? Some sources say that there are tiny tiny air bubbles in the pump, which makes it whine like that. Let the loop bleed, rock the case a bit, then it should be good.

Or, and hopefully thats not the case with your pump, the motor is crippled.

MT Alex says thanks.