1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Low GPU load when playing WoW

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ssawgift, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    My card is a newly bought ASUS R9 280X. I noticed that when I play WoW (25-raid), FPS drops from 60+ to below 30, but at the same time GPU Load in GPU-Z shows only around 35%.

Some days ago I tried a bitcoin miner and the software can fill GPU Load almost to 100% and GPU Temperature is around 75 degrees Celsius.

Are there other people who have the same problem with me?
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its called power saving. it does not need that power so it clokcs down. WoW is to 280x like 2+2 was to einstein
  3. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    Is there any way to tell the video card driver not saving power? Instead I want performance.
  4. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    He is saying below 30 FPS that is not 2+2 obviously. Try different driver make sure you have uninstalled all previous drivers and try disabling vsync and any background services that may be working in the background.
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    try the new 13.12 drivers
  6. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    what cpu are you using?

fill in your system specs, OP.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This. WoW can become CPU limited very quickly.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Blizz games are really hard on CPUs especially AMDs so that might be the cause.
  9. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Why do people say so often that WoW doesn't need a semi decent GPU? It does. DX11 Ultra at anything 1080p or above with AA requires something that has a little bit of grunt. It's true that CPU is king for the minimums but if you want all those DX11 gfx with high levels of AA you still need that dedicated GPU which can cope.
  10. sulfur

Thanks Received:
    World of Warcraft loves CPU power :) Like other MMO's CPU>GPU. Even older PC's with OCED CPU's can handle MoP 5.4 with 60fps 1080p without drops.
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Turn stuff down and you can run it on anything though,
  12. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    If VSync is turned on and it's limiting the frame rate to monitor refresh rate or half refresh rate (in this case 60/30) then the GPU usage will not go to 100%.

And if your GPU isn't at 100% load and your frame rate in game is not equal to your monitor's refresh rate (in this case 60) then there's something on your system that is limiting the full potential of the GPU (most of the time, the CPU).

If VSync is disabled and your GPU load is not at 100%, then then there's something on your system that is limiting the FULL potential of the GPU (most of the time, the CPU).

Not sure. I can be wrong.
  13. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    True, true. And yes, like I said CPU is king for minimums but you are not gonna run over 60fps constant with a sub par GPU on ultra with good levels of AA with any CPU... old or new.
  14. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    Thanks all for your replies. I updated my specs, please see if anything may cause the problem.
  15. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Is the game in the background or foreground while this problem is occurring?
  16. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    It's normal foreground play. GPU-Z is capable of recording stats over time.
  17. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    a 4/8 xeon, 8gb ram, 280x and a ssd should have no problems running WoW...

did you try reinstalling AMD drivers?
    desperate measure=reinstall WoW?
    really extra desperate measure=reinstall windows?
  18. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure blizzard didn't have Xeons in mind when making WoW. In fact even a 4+ ghz i7 won't play at 60fps in a 25man raid no matter what GPU you have. I have had a 7970 in the past and now a Titan, none of them goes above 30% load because this game is badly coded and CPU bound. I'm pretty sure 30fps for a stock xeon is a good performance in 25man. And it's definately not a GPU issue.

You can try to reduce GPU-bound graphics options and see for yourself that your fps will not really increase.
    ssawgift and Blue-Knight say thanks.
  19. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    The CPU is actually not a problem because CPU load is never very high in the sense that it never exceeds 30% during game play.

According to Kaynar, maybe it's Blizzard that is to be responsible for this problem. I once heard that AMD cards have problem of low GPU load with games. But Kaynar says NVIDIA card also has this same problem with WoW. This means this problem does not pertain to specific card maker.
  20. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    How about trying to mess with CPU affinity? http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_processAffinityMask

I don't know what else to suggest. I have a 4670K with a 760 and it plays the game smooth as silk on Ultra with 8xAA. You should be having no issues. Hope you get it sorted.
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI, 30% of an 8 threaded CPU is over two threads maxed out (12.5% would be one maxed out).

so yeah - you're CPU limited. games require highly clocked CPU's, not ones with excess cores.
    Blue-Knight says thanks.
  22. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    In my experience, Catalyst control center has been coming with A LOT of graphic functions set to On as a default. I had an issue of My own a few months back, and found an issue where catalyst was Default set to Do something that was causing HUGE performance loss, after a couple days of speaking with support , we ended up tracing the issue to catalyst's setting's being set to the "on" position right out of the gate. I would recommend going into it, and Verifying that ALL settings are on the "use application" setting, then go onward from there.
  23. ssawgift

Thanks Received:
    But E3-1230 V2 is already one of the best CPUs out there - moreover, the best ones are all multi-cores. I'm so confused. A game like WoW should only stress the GPU instead of the CPU.
  24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately WoW stresses the CPU not modern GPUs. Any reasonably decent modern GPU can max out WoW graphically. And even though the E3-1230V2 is a very power CPU, it is still your limiting factor. People with 4.0GHz overclocks on CPUs just like yours are still CPU limited in WoW.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If only you knew how wrong that statement was. Xeons are designed for different workloads. Not to say it won't play WoW well, but WoW definitely can't fully utilize 8 threads, so more cores does not mean more power in this case. There are some settings that hit the CPU harder than others. If you're running everything in Ultra, there is almost no way that you're going to realize 60FPS during a RAID with your hardware. It's not that the hardware isn't capable of doing it, it's that the software isn't.

With all of this said, an i5 clocked higher would probably out perform your Xeon for WoW, much like it would in other Blizzard games.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you get a Xeon in the first place? It's not like any the features of a Xeon will help you game while you throw your ability to overclock out the window.
    Mussels says thanks.