1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Low I7 3dmark Score

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sut, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sut New Member

Thanks Received:
    HI

i have seen lookin around that some people are havin issues with a low 3dmark advantage score ( http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=84013 )

and it appears to be a result of NVIDIA PhysX, problem im havin if i run 3dmark advantage cpu test 2 i get a score of = 0 yes thats zero.

can you tell me is this a result of NVIDIA PhysX???

my system is as follows

17 920
    3x2gig corsiar ddr3 ram
    gigabyte ga-ex58-ud5
    ati 5870

if the problem above is a result of this issue does anyone know how to fix it as i cant install NVIDIA PhysX as im running an ati card

thx for any help sut
  2. chuck216

chuck216 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It would help if you could post a compare link to your Vantage score. However I believe it's not the score for CPU test 2 that's "0" but rather the framerate. That's normal it should be between 0 and 1 even with the highest end cpus as it's using the cpu to render the test. Those with Nvidia cards do score significantly higher in that test. But that's because the card's physx capability is rendering the scene and not the CPU, resulting in an artificially high CPU score overall. And because of this their overall vantage score will be higher as it's the graphic score combined with the CPU score that determines the overall score. Basically the nvidia folks are inadvertently "cheating" because Vantage doesn't disable GPU based physics.
  3. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    What the heck? That doesn't make sense at all. He even said he can't use physX with his GPU since it's ATi so please address his issue and help with his problem. Some part of his software isn't responding correctly. You should have a CPU score even without physX on test 2. Yes test 2 sees the most benefit from nVidia's PhysX, but no that doesn't mean it should be 0. Here's an example with my GPU, physX off.

[​IMG]

::EDIT:: And there's nothing wrong with the physX portion of the Vantage test being enhanced by the GPU since that's what their GPUs do. It would be wrong however to look at the CPU scores when comparing scores between ATi and nVidia. Think about it.
  4. chuck216

chuck216 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't say his CPU score should be "0" but the frame rate of the test itself should be between 0 and 1. I believe he's getting FPS and the actual CPU score which is determined by both CPU test 1 and 2, mixed up. That's why I asked for a compare link.
  5. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't think Vantage measured the CPU tests in FPS, but rather Plans and Steps per second..even Binge's screen shot shows that.
  6. chuck216

chuck216 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does but if you watch the test itself the FPS display flickers between "0" and "1" yes the operations per second on CPU test should be higher than 0 for example my Phenom II 940 @ 3.5 ghz does about 18.5 or so Operations/sec on that test. I still think he was watching the frame rate and not the actual cpu score only a compare link will determine what's really going on. I'm just guessing it's a mixup of the frame rate of the test and actual operations per second.
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    He wasn't using physx. Using physx boosts the CPU score.

I had a detailed post explaining this but sometimes this website lags out.. didn't go through. I don't want to type it again :(
  8. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    This guy is different than the post he sited. Seriously this OP's post was confusing. I think it's a software error, and I'd like to leave it at that. Some people just don't understand basic software/english/writing... I hope they didn't graduate high school.
  9. rickss69

Thanks Received: