1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Low Power Home Server

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by enaher, May 23, 2009.

1. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, guy you know some people never turn of their pc, well im like that but i want to build a general use home server & HTPC, for everyone in the house for downloading stuff, photoshop, video conversion folding, and some virtualization

So ive got a dg33buc , Antec EarthWatts380, a q9550s, a Xiggy S1283...

What i need at least 3 TB of HDD thinkin on getting 3 x This, This 9800GT and finally this ram are any of this worth it if not suggest what to get instead, and a good pci or pcie x1 TvTuner.

Do you guys think its worth it as a 24h home server and will it use less power than my gaming rig?

Thanks in advance guys
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    might use up more, Q9550 more power than your E8400 and 9800gt uses more than 4850 but with the HDDs and all other components it seems to be roughly par on power usage. you might want to cut the spec down
    enaher says thanks.
  3. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    The proc is fine, you can always downclock it if you want to lower the power usage (although a low power dual core proc could use less, then again if you wanna use PS on your machine a quad core will be useful). As for the graphics card you're putting a gaming level card into a low power machine, which seems odd.

If you're definately not looking to game on it i'd either use the integrated on the motherboard (it won't run vista aero or playback hardware accelerated video, don't know if you'd want that). If you did want to be able to have something low power still better than integrated then this would do - no noise, low power but enough to run OS visual effects and play hardware accelerated video.

The hard drives are fine, if you wanted to save some power you could get a 2TB WD green hard drive - it would cost more and have higher latency, but you'd be taking 1 hdd motor out of your system, lowering power requirements.
    enaher says thanks.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if all you want is a home server, get a lower power CPU and video card. onboard video is enough for server/HTPC use.
    enaher says thanks.
  5. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i got the 9550s for free and since its the low power 65w version i thought it would use as much as or less than my OC 8400 & the 9800gt is also the low power version that doesnt have the 6 pin, i actually wanted the card for folding since ati card seem poor at folding... but im open to suggestions:rolleyes:

mmm... you guys are right ill get only 1HDD and A external 2TB HDD
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    folding aside, i can run 1080P movies just fine off a 3800 x2 with 3200 onboard.
    if i hook my e-sata cage up, its got 5TB+ of storage space then.

if you want it low power, at least undervolt that CPU, possibly underclock it too.
    enaher says thanks.
  7. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats kinda not possible jeje at least not with that mobo, its g33 intel mobo and there are no option to regulate voltage:( it does seem to set the specified 1.6v automatically for the geil ram though... at least i hope, should i change the mobo?
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    might not be neccesary, some software tools might work like RMclock.
    enaher says thanks.
  9. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    ill try that thanks:toast: