1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lower max overclock after installing Zalman VF700-Cu?!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ShadowFlare, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ShadowFlare New Member

Thanks Received:
    Three days ago I installed a Zalman VF700-Cu on my Sapphire X800 GTO2. Before installing the Zalman VF700-Cu, the GPU was mostly stable at 540 and wouldn't crash until reaching at least around 560. After installing the Zalman VF700-Cu (with Arctic Silver Ceramique) the GPU will crash on artifact scanning in ATITool as it approaches 530, despite having a lower GPU temperature. My max memory overclock did go up a little, though. I left the existing heatspreader installed and I'm only using half of the ramsinks for now and thinking of possibly putting the rest of them on the heatspreader (http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=8010).

Any ideas on what could have gone wrong such that the temperatue is shown lower, but the max GPU overclock would go down?

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I had the same sort of thing happen with one 630 CPU I tried - could get to FSB of 260 on Air (at 60c), but only 250 (at25c) with watercooling... I can't explain it other than some weird thing - like pressure on the IHS or some dielectric phenomenon. The other explaination might be small heat wicking differentails directly above the core. Very wierd. Maybe you'll find something more plausible.

3. ShadowFlare New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, well the problem seems to have gone away. Maybe it happened because I tried overclocking it the first time I used the card after changing the heatsink/fan. This happened yesterday, which was the first day I used to card after the change, and doesn't seem to be happening anymore today.

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If you are using Arctic Silver, there is a break in period... possibly the explaintion - after experimatation, my box seems to be improving a MHz at a time each day :)