1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lowering a multi to save on room heat

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Atnevon, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys,

So now that it is getting warmer, my bedroom apartment is getting much hotter, and really getting annoying (again)

I wonder if doing something as small as lowering the multiplier from 9 to 8 on my Q6600 will help save on that, and run lower. I don't overclock, and only have my FSB pushed to get a 2.67 speed.

Right now, its at 45 46 39 39, and usually is 33-34ish when I like it. Any idea how I can cut down on that?

Also, will doing something like putting an x8800 Cooler on my 88GTX help in this as well. I assume it wont help room temp, but help the card more.

Thanks for any input,
    -Andrew

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not just enable speed step functions and allow the motherboard to lower the multi to 6X when not in use and only run full speed for games or usage of the CPU.

The only way I can see to control your temp issues with the 8800GTX furnace is to watercool it, its going to dump heat into somewhere no matter the cooler you use.

Atnevon says thanks.
  3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    +1, thats what I do, when Idle my CPu is only (lol) running at 2.4Ghz cus of speedstep.

Atnevon says thanks.
  4. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Forgot all about speedstep, and yes its on. I figure I may as well see if there was an all knowing possibility of dropping my room another 5 degrees by actually adjusting something.

Thanks for the replys though. When I get a new apartment, Ill be able to put my compy in the living area, closer to the floor, and the room be 4 times the size of my bedroom.

I miss my parents house at times. The basement kept this baby at 28 idle on my cpu, and 46 on my gpu.

Oh well, Christmas is there for a reason.

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    lowering voltages is the only way to reduce heat output.

Quite often it works better than speedstep too. Just do overclocking in reverse - leave the clocks at stock, and lower the voltages til you find hte lowest stable settings.

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Speedstep reduces voltage too, though admitedly not that much.