1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lowest Power consumption PC with i5/i3

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by michael, Aug 11, 2014.

1. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Rcoon that an AM1 platform for 1080p videos and web surfing at low power consumption is the best option other than a laptop. If you factor in price for a machine like that its a steal in all honesty.

Try something like this:

Athlon 5350
    Asrock AM1H-ITX (Can run off a laptop AC adaptor with that DC in)
    Gskill 1600 4gb (2x2gb)
    Thermaltake MITX Case
    Asus DVD Drive
    Sandisk 120gb SSD

That right there is about $300 bucks total for the system and after that you would either grab a small PSU or just a laptop style ac adaptor to run it for about 50 bucks more. Won't get much more low voltage than that.

michael and RCoon say thanks.
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    That is TDP dude. Not actual power consumption.

michael says thanks.
  3. MarkC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Michael,

See http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64394 for an idea of what is possible. Have search around the web and I think that you will find that the idle power consumption of an 3770K is about the same as an i3 or i5 so I guess that the rest of your system is what is drawing power. If were to put up you system specs I may be able to pinpoint.

Mark

michael says thanks.
  4. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    ff.JPG

here it is..

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Are you wanting to reuse parts from your rig or start from scratch with this low power system? Either way you can save the SSD and HDDs and slap them into your new system and it will be still low power with extra storage and save some bucks.

michael says thanks.
  6. MarkC New Member

Thanks Received:
    At a first guess without doing a websearch, which you can do yourself if you want, the motherboard maybe consume quite a lot because the model name suggests lots of bells and whistles which as well as being a Z chipset will all add up. Intel boards tend to have the lowest consumption - you may be able to sell your ASUS for not much less than buying a new Intel - do check what features you want and reviews before changing. For surfing you probably only need 8GB of RAM as long as you have your browser configured properly (e.g. Firefox with Adblock Plus) and don't have crazy numbers of tabs open; each stick of RAM might use 2W. If you go too low on RAM you might end up swapping data onto your HDD which will make things worse. You might try to manage with only one of you HDDs in use normally, with the other in a caddy to be used if you need to, as these might be using approx 5W or more each (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article29-page2.html) - as GhostRyder indicated the Samsung PRO is probably the most efficient SSD out there - at least in 2.5inch form factor. If the PSU is this one http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/Silent_Pro_M2_850W/5.html then that may be adding another 5 Watts at low loads especially with it being a 850W model. The Cooler Master V550S seems to be the most efficient ATX PSU at the moment, for web surfing and not bad for gaming. So a good number of things to try before you spend any money or embed more carbon by buying new stuff - for an experiment try removing your both of your HDDs and three sticks of RAM to start.

michael says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I just built a AM1 Athlon 5350 machine. During HD playback it averages 20w, under full load with OCCT is stays under 30w. I say go for that.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Arjai, RCoon, Recca29 and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    First of all thanks for your detail explanation.

No, I will not remove anything from these machine this is my favourite machine , it also has 11 tri LED 120mm fans, red led tube below the case and green strip led around inner border of case with individual power off options with remote switch ON/OFF more to add to this. I would be curious to know how much watts that motherboard eats....?
    (Have we ever come across i7 3770/3770k with minimal watts operating with some kind of lower end boards..?)

I wonder if hard disk really takes extra watts because whenever I click on say, 1 TB disk it takes time to open , seems that it gets activated or so and gets/consumes more power.

Yes I am sure my 850Watt PSu eats more watt but I have no options as I am having lot of, lot of lightings on my case which requires more connectors.

I also used to use APC 1500 Pro UPS which now just resting in side of table idle as it used to bring huge bills when connected.

I thought You will be pointing towards some BIOS setting which will result in some low wattage.

Thanks for your detail reply. (hey you joined today only....... :D :toast:)

9. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    Yeah! Could you be so kind to share your whole system specifications with 5350 please? What is OCCT ?

Thanks.

10. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    No, as I said below this is my mod case.

11. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for specs:-

I have some questions:-

1.Can we put wireless Lan card for wifi in that big PCI slot ?
    2. Is 120GB SSD enough though it is cheap about RS. 6000 =$ 100 , I think installed Win 7 64 bit takes more than or close 120GB (my current system takes this much) on 256 SSD) for installed space . ?
    3. Can you play 4 youtube 1080p videos at same time on different tabs?
    4. Can you play 15GB to 20GB movie file on it without any lag ?

Thanks.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

mobos vary a lot - with a higher overclock and more powerful hardware, my brother uses 30W less at idle due to a more efficient/newer chipset mobo.
    HDD's use 5-12W (or zero if powered down)
    all those LED's use 1-2W each, maybe 5-10W for a CCFL.
    3770/3770K arent high wattage. with undervolting you can get them <50W at load.

michael says thanks.
  13. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    Undervolting...? How to do that?

14. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    If u are living in Delhi; it would be hard to find an Asrock board. only Asus and Gigabyte boards are available.
    1. You can get a WIFI card PCIE1X (Rs. 750 ~ 12$) for the Asus board i recommended earlier. its about RS. 2850 ~ 48$ for the board on ebay.
    2. 120GB is enough. Just disable the hibernate. Try Samsung 120 EVO it costs Rs. 5500 ~ 92$
    3. Get a single 4GB RAM as the processor support only single channel.
    4. will be able to answer the 3rd and 4th points after 4-5 days when i get the motherboard.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its like overclocking, but backwards! so, in the BIOS.

xvi says thanks.
  16. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    3. Probably, I haven't tried it, because it's a fairly impractical a stupid thing to do.
    4. Yes, I watched Desolation of Smaug bluray and Captain America in the last week on my friend's (SSD'd) 5350 machines just for kicks.

With the correct codecs utilising the full APU, it runs at around 40% during Bluray playback.

Recca29 says thanks.
  17. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    1: yes
    2: windows install takes like 12gb roughly off the top of my head (Don't really pa attention to the size much). If you need more space, just get the next size up.
    3: don't see why not? But I don't see why you would do that lol.
    4:yes

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    michael says thanks.
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    michael says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:

5350 + Asus AM1 motherboard is the way to go.

got 2.5GHZ with a Volt increase, this increased temps by like 2 degrees.

Plays HD video with ease with only 14% cpu usage

michael, Recca29 and RCoon say thanks.
  20. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    No just try it, sometimes browser gets hang, I do this normally when I need to see all reviews one by one on one product, sometimes it takes time to get streamed so I open all in one attempt. then watch first then 2nd and so on or select which one is best to watch......

21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So you are not watching them at the same time.

michael and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:

in which case he wants to buffer four videos at the same time, which 100% comes down to his local network and internet connection.

michael says thanks.
  23. michael

michael

Thanks Received:
    Guys, Please excuse me for possible lengthening of this topic.. But I have some new interrelated query for you all, as the latest information shows as below,( yes AMD AM1 chip looks good but I see more options) :-

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81TM-ITX R2.0/?cat=CPU

a1.PNG
    a2.PNG

Is this xeon E3-1220LV3(C0) available in market, being xeon and just 16W and that too with this motherboard looks great... this might just be useful for me to keep some virtual machine online all the time. Can you all have you comments and suggestion about this please...?

Thanks a lot.

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    performance might be a bit weak at 1.6Ghz. you could achieve that by underclocking and undervolting any CPU.

michael says thanks.
  25. Final_Fighter

Thanks Received:
    well seeing that you still are considering your build i found some more info on the intel NUC power consumption that i suggested earlier. also i think the celerons are even lower haven't checked yet but i would think they are.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7566/intels-haswell-nuc-d54250wyk-ucff-pc-review/6

27.02 watts with load
    6.84 watts idle

the NUC is good for everyday web surfing and low setting gaming (if you dont mind). i have a 3rd gen i5 nuc i use at my bros place with one of his spare monitors, mouse and keyboards.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    michael says thanks.