1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

M4A785-M doesn't boot after OC failure

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Sir B. Fannybottom, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I was Ocing my PII 955B to 3.4ghz and I clicked save and exit, it then rebooted and went to a black screen like it does when a OC fails. I shut it off then on again which should reset the failled oc, and it doesn't. I have tried taking out the Cmos battery, and resetting the CMOS and nothing seems to help. Anyone have some Ideas?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Disconnect all power, take the battery out, move the CMOS jumper to the clear position. Leave it for 10 minutes, then move jumper back/install battery.
    Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
  3. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Still the same :( I'm not getting a beep code either. I've tried with no video card and one stick of ram, and it still wont boot...
  4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    do fans spin up?
  5. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Yup I also have a green LED on the mobo telling me it's getting power.

Also, WEWT 1000th post!
  6. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    hmm okay so no beeping power still getting to the board,

that means im guessing the VRMs didnt pop...

check for any bulging / popped capacitors.
  7. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I don't think there are any, A popped capacitor has the metal tabs on the top broken, yes?

EDIT: google images agrees
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Try starting from scrach. Take every thing cpu, ram and all out. You may have put the cooler on too tight. rebuild and see if that helps. works for me from time to time.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I think It may be my mobo getting shorted out, my sister was poking around while I was searching and she pushed on a sata cable and the computer started up I'm gunna try taking the mobo out of my case and try it like that, but it's 2:30 am and I'm dead tired so I'm going to bed and I'll keep trying in the morning. Thanks guys for your suggestion and more are appreciated
    mjkmike says thanks.
  10. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar problem like this once; the motherboard's light was on and the fans spun for a few seconds when attempting to boot, but it was a no-go with no beep codes either.

Replacing the PSU fixed the problem for me - perhaps you can try your backup computer's CX500 in it.
  11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i have the same problem sometimes.

the auto reset thingy seems to have some bugs.
  12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i agree try to boot it without ram and see does it beep
    if beep it means your board is ok, but if no, theres something err with the board.
    or try plug out the 24 pins, leave a little time then plug it back and try turn it on
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    just ignore this prob is what i mean. ASus sucks.
  14. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had this mobo before so I can tell that you have to unplug everything. Unlug the hdd, optical drive and even remove the memory sticks. Then you remove the battery and clear the cmos. This mobo I think has tendency to keep infos of the system on the ram sticks itself. Thats how i solved my problem. After done that change the sata wires and plug in only the hdd to see if its start. There could be a short in one of the sata wire and from what i remember those sata included with that mobo were damn scrap. If its working then plug back the optical drive.
  15. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I removed ram and drives, took out CMOS batter then switched the pins and left it for 10 mins. I came back and It still doesn't work :(
  16. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    do one thing...

switch CMOS pins and start the CPU like that. while is running, switch them back to normal position.
    works for me.
  17. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Didn't work either :( I tired taking the mobo out of the case, and it wouldn't boot like that too... I'm up for trying almost anything atm
  18. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    we dont care about the bios for now since the mobo wont go into the bios if there is a problem booting. After removing the ram is it making a BEEP sound or not when you start it back??? If yes the mobo is good if not then it fried because the mobo protectino didnt activate fast enough. Problem solve final answer and if you don't follow advices why are you taking time to ask? lol Good luck ;)
  19. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Theres still no beep sound even after that :( Would removing the BIOS chip and putting it back in help at all?
  20. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    try it. smells like pooped mobo. like the one i had.
    my mobo stopped responding like this as well.
  21. twilyth Guest

NEVER try to change anything with a hard point of contact like a jumper while the machine is running. You can probably get away with it on a jumper and maybe you could do it a couple dozen times, but I guarantee that eventually you're going to fry something.

In fact, you should probably kill all power to the m/b before doing anything since there is still power being fed to the m/b even when it is "off". "Off is just a relative term. that switch on the front is a soft "off". For tinkering, ALWAYS do a full power down even if you think you don't need to.

Of course if you're like DDD and have plenty of money to spend on hardware, do whatever you want.
  22. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    It has no smell, when my A770DE+ was having a problem similar to this it smelt like burnt PCB

I have it out on a desk now, with a different PSU, still not beep code with or whithout ram, and I still need to hold power... Does anyone know if ASUS covers OC failures on their warranty?
  23. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    OMG i didnt know that. but thats the way my cmos reset works sometimes.

you dont have to be mean :cry:
  24. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    they do so over here.
    so i guess they do it everywhere. they provide burn protection as well :confused:
  25. twilyth Guest

First, I've fried several m/b's and there was never any smell. And I'm talking about boards with scorch marks.

Second, you don't tell Asus you were oc'ing silly. You just fill out their form for RMA. When they ask you to describe the problem, tell them it won't boot. Period.

BTW, where did you get a speaker for the m/b? I haven't seen one come with an m/b for a long time. Maybe it's built in now. IDK. I don't pay attention anymore. Well, that, and with WCG, I never shut my rigs off anyway. I just have a timer that reboots them every few days. I know the last time I tried to debug something I had to dig an old speaker out.