1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

m4n68t v2 3+1 vrm worry's me

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by rizla1, Mar 25, 2012.

1. rizla1

Thanks Received:
    I have worrys about this board and my x4 965 it was trottling in games going from @3.6ghz to 800 mhz...
    probably why i was getting bad fps in bf3
    i have managed to buy some copper ramsinks for the mosfets and now my pc is turning on ok and hasnt crashed all evening...!

could anybody name the bare minimum am3 board to get that will suport an x4 with oc?

i was looking for 8+2 boards but am not sure by looking, and do not know what price of board i should be looking at...!:confused:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With your current board, turn off Cool & Quiet.

If that doesn't help and/or you still just want a better board but keeping things on the cheaper side, I would go with the Asus M5A88-V EVO or the Gigabyte GA970A UD3. Newegg currently has both boards discounted as open box. Good price and decent power circuitry.

rizla1 and Norton say thanks.
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:

This 970 board from Gigabyte has 8+2 power and is affordable here but I'm not sure of the prices in your market

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3...

*note- any Gigabyte UD3 (Ultra Durable 3) or better board will have decent power on it

ASUS M5A97 and M5A99X boards feature 6+2 power and overclock well but cost a little more.

If your going to stay with AM3 you can look around for an 800 or even a 700 series board and save some money. Check the specs for 140w CPU support and you should be fine for power and overclocking...

***EDIT erocker's board recommendations are both good options for you as well ***

rizla1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. rizla1

Thanks Received:
    k thanks I got some copper ramsinks on the mosfets atm on my mobo.

Should i add a heatsink to the little power chips to the left of the mosfets? they seem really hot aswell when cpu is under load... :/

Thanks I will look into the gb mobo... I will never get another asus mobo again

5. rizla1

Thanks Received:
    bump

6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Would love to assist you in installing those heatsinks but will defer to someone with some experience in working with them.... sorry wish I could be more helpful.:eek:

You could start another thread asking for help w/installing vrm heatsinks- that may bring more responses.

The gigabyte boards are nice, especially UD3 or higher models with at least 8+2 power :toast:

rizla1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS motherboards are good.. they, like most other companies make low end boards, not meant of overclocking and things like that. Your board is fine, you just bought the wrong motherboard for your needs. Cooling may help, but you are still overloading the VRM's. If you want to go the cooling route, I suggest you have a fan blowing over the mosfets that you put heatsinks on.

You want to place the heatsinks on the chips marked in green.:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    rizla1 and Norton say thanks.
  8. rizla1

Thanks Received:
    thanks so the copper heatsinks i bought and stuck on the mosfets are ok i just have to getto mod a heatsink to fit them chips now...thanks for filling me in i was thinking them chips would need cooling 2..! :)

9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    If you're still into getting a new board, my personal recommendation is this if you don't care for multi-gpu configurations
    ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD...

Absolutely LOVED mine when I had it.

EDIT:

Actually I had the EVO of that board, very similar.