1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Heat Problem?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by DiamondMines, Nov 8, 2013.

1. DiamondMines New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend has the following rig:

FX-8320
    M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    2x4 8GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance CL9
    ASUS GTX 660 2 2GB O.C.
    Corsair 750WTM + 80
    Akasa Venom Cooler

And here is a picture of the motherboard (he argues) that gets extremely hot when he plays games. He is running 1920x1080, usually high settings, filters turned off. He says that the parts outlined below (in red) gets really hot and he can't even touch it. However, the ASUS All Suite program reports the MB as around 40c. BTW, he has updated the bios.

[​IMG]

Any ideas why this is happening? How accurate is the 40c from the ASUS program? Any ideas to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure where ASUS is reading the temperature from, so only they know how accurate that temperature is.

Those are the northbridge and southbridge heatsinks, so they are going to get pretty warm, especially if there isn't good airflow over the motherboard.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    You never mentioned if he has it oc'd or not. The 8 core CPUs are really hard on a board like that and I'm not surprised it's getting hot.

4. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Those heatsinks really rely on some airflow through the case, and preferably over them. If he doesn't have a decent fan set-up, or is blocking the airflow in some other way its probable that stuff gets "hot".

5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Put a 80mm fan on the VRM sink and 40mm fan on the NB sink. SB sink will be taken care of by long graphic card fans (non-blower ones). Also ensure there is proper airflow in the case.

6. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had an M4A89GTD PRO which northbridge temps would go high during gaming(even burn my finger)
    Then I moved to a 990FX-UD3 which southbridge would go crazy high during gaming but that was a known issue on that specific model
    Check the voltages and direct some airflow cause there's nothing you can do about it
    Good news is both NB and SB are made to withstand high temps so no real problem as long as the system is stable

7. vlolv

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i'm got this problem too on my M5A99X EVO R2.0, already got new replacement but still got heat problem and already talked via phone to Asus technical support and he requested me to send my board to test on their office. Why they not build one to test on their office?! :wtf:

Now i just use 4cm fan to rid off this problem..

8. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Yes anyone trying to use a 6 phase board with an 8 core CPU is going to need active cooling foor the VRM. It's just a lot of current for the power section to handle and will get hot.

9. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but that's just not true.

Got two friends with the 970evo R2.0 which easily get to 4,6GHz with a scythe mugen without the motherboard getting close to overheating. Granted, 4,6GHz isn't exactly 5GHz, but its safe to say it has enough headroom.
    Furthermore, another PC is running a 8350 on an AsRock 970Extreme3, without any problems at all. This board has just a 4 phase VRM, and just a tiny heatsink, but apparently that's all that's needed to safely run it at stock.

I'm not saying bigger vrms or more VRM cooling won't help, but this board definitely shouldn't overheat on its own.

Furthermore, that AI suite is usually reasonable accurate. Couldn't your friend be wrong in what he feels? Also, don't you have any temperature meter you can try? It might help if you could measure the temperature objectively.

10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:

true. asus does go a bit for more "look" than function with their heatsinks.

i burnt the fingerprints off my finger a couple of times by touching the SB on my previous M4A785TD-M Pro.

Asus probably reports the temperature from some where that is a fair bit away from the heat sources. They might also just be lying about the temps XD.

the NB on my board also reported 40C

11. vlolv

Thanks Received:
    This what i got from them :wtf:

[​IMG]

12. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I shouldn't have generalized so much since it's highly dependant on the CPU itself. There is such a wide range of 8xxx series CPUs. What I mean by that is required power for certain clocks. I have seen some thay will clock up to 4.8 with just 1.45v. My 8350 takes 1.476v for 4.64. We have done a P-state comparison on a small sample and at20x there is a variance of nearly 0.1v for stack V_core.
    If the OP has a CPU that falls in the latter category then he's going to have problems.I have that board and I had the exact same problems. The highest I could go was 4.5 and keep the temps in check. That also took additional cooling to the powere section.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
  14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:

Ever monitored actual cpu clock under load? I would bet that those 4.6ghs cpus are throttling quite a bit. 4 and 6 phase boards get stupid hot, throttle and can't really handle the stress of an 8 core stock let alone oc'd.

His board likely doesn't throttle at the same wattage as the evo's likely a lot hotter with his. Throw a fan on the nb and the rest will cool enough on its own.

15. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    They don't throttle at all, and the VRM's stay at around 70 degrees. :) it is not until you start pushing a lot more voltage through those chips that they really start to consume loads of power. These people are still at around 1.4V. I'm at 1.44 and 4,6Ghz myself with my oldskool bulldozer, and that does really pull 25Amps over the 12V CPU line lol.

16. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    Not always true i would say! My p8z68-v pro/gen3 sits around 43c° Oc´ed hand warm.
    on the other hand my RAMPAGE II GENE northbridge would get hot and in sli SO HOT that the system first got Audio bugs stuttering and then freezes and yes while overclocked <-<.
    With an 60mm fan on top, it stayed quite cool and no issues anymore.
    I always recommend doing some extra cooling for reliability and for your own nerves.

if you don´t mind high temperatures go ahead the boards are designed to be run at higher temperatures , they do test their boards.

17. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Is it throttling the processor? If not, I don't see an issue here.

Also, I would recommend uninstalling Asus AI Suite. It turned out to be the cause of a random shutdown issue I was having. I use HWMonitor and the only temp that needs watching is the one labeled "CPU" which I believe to be the vrm temps.

18. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    ANY I say again ANY motherboard in that range would have their chipsets and VRM burn your fingers. Those components are made to withstand high temperatures and if the heatsinks Asus used on that model or rather any model in the 9 series chipset line up are bad, I don't know what is good unless there is a fan. Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI use the same heatsinks on their boards too in that range. I have got an Asus M5A97 R2.0 and the NB heatsink is really hot to touch. Same happened with my old Asus M4A88TD M EVO/USB3 and my friend's Gigabyte 970A UD3.

I suggest not to worry about those. As long as the system is stable and does not shut down on its own you are good to go. Moreover, having the heatsinks heat up like that is a good sign that they are conducting the heat efficiently from the heated up components. So don't think about altering TIMs or such.

19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I would still be surprised if it wasn't throttling to make the 70c set point. Considering people have the 8 phase lower end boards throttling on them.

20. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    my asrock stays cool all the time.
    i do have a heatpipe :laugh:

21. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    That is because your board has a fan on the VRM heatsink which is again connected to the NB heatsink through a heatpipe.

22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    None of my top tier board have ever had the issues described from the ancient ddr2 :roll: stuff up. You do buy quality and cheap boards are cheap for a reason

23. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    True that. But I don't find any scope for improvement either. :eek: I mean Asus uses good enough quality heatsinks in their midrange boards too. Still those areas heat up a lot. It has got nothing to do with the heatsink or else, all motherboards would be priced high. The thing needed here is simply an active cooling solution which would add a negligible amount to the cost. But then noise and maintenance comes into play and no one wants that if the job is done.
    The best way around is refinement of technology like Intel did. The entire North Bridge is now on the CPU itself. This adds reliability as in most cases, they are actively cooled. Or simply use better quality silicon to make the chipsets consume lower power.

24. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    dont use fan.

95W cpu doesnt need a fan!

pluss the hyper 212 is running two fans, so it gets ggoood air.

25. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I see. In my board, the VRM does not heat up much even after the crazy OC I do on my stock cooler but the NB does. Feels like 65-70 degree C.