1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mac Fan/Console Elitist Needs PC for BF3

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by CyberDruid, Oct 7, 2011.

1. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

One of my oldest and dearest friends used to be like us, normal, and spend most of his time gaming on his PC....then something terrible happened. I can't explain it. He stopped using his PC completely:twitch: He bought Apple products one after another the day they were released:wtf: And he only gamed on his consoles:slap:

Now despite his current state he's possibly the most hard core gamer I have ever met...and BF is his deepest passion. :respect:

That said he emailed me today and mentioned that he saw a build in his future...because by all accounts BF3 plays better on PC than console.

So here's the deal...he's got a P35 rig collecting dust. Would it be worth the money to upgrade that with a quad and plop in a fat GFX card and call it a day? Or should he go with new gen hardware?

Here's what I came up with...let me know what you think would be the way to go.

Here's the text I just sent him...did I get it right?
    Thanks in advance for your advice and input on straightening out this mixed up kid:laugh:

(He's actually married and about to turn 40...so only a kid because I've known him since he was 10).

EDIT: He's probably not going to need anything I have except maybe the PSU, and Quad. He's got a P5K Vanilla mobo and G Skill RAM, HDD etc but that E2180 won't cut it and I think his PSU is too old and weak to support a fat card. I just listed what I had on hand if he was going to go for a stiff OC that needs extreme cooling.

I forgot he had that old P35 when I sent him the text.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Seems like legit advice to me, CD, but then, I've kinda considered you as one of the more "direct" people out there anyway.

I'd try to push the new rig on him...memory bandwidth on the new platforms is really needed to maximize current DX11 titles.
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  3. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    In my email I mentioned DX11 and the need for Win7 as factors to consider for optimal play. That's a good point about bandwidth...you can never have enough, more is better, etc. And who wouldn't want USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB/S for snappier load times. And SSD. Those new Corsair Drives are priced well.
  4. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    It might be worth it to wait until bulldozer drops before deciding. If it is competitive it may drive down prices on sandy bridge setups.
    I know guys who've upgraded from core2 systems to new i5-2500 k based systems, and they are very happy.
    Supposedly we're near the AMD FX launch, so tell him to hold out for another week or so before deciding.
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Ask him to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ first and repent.
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  6. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2 gtx460.....booooooooo better get single 6950 or GTX 560TI
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  7. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Interesting and touching story... Now, I would definitely pump 300$ more in a current generation hardware. The LGA 775 is long dead so in my opinion is not worth any penny nowadays. You talk about monitor but we don't see any listed. He already has one? It all boils down to the budget. BF3 needs heavy GPU power for ultra settings but I'm sure that with one monitor setup 1920x1080 a 6970 or GTX570 will be enough for around 40ish FPS. If he wants more (monitors or FPSs) then things get pretty rough on the money side of things.
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i wouldn't push a $1000 monitor on him. 1080p is a respectable resolution and it doesn't kill the budget.
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  9. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    He was all about AMD until C2D opened a can of whoopass on them. I put the Nvidia tots in the Big Boy room with the HD 6970 because in SLI (when they aren't bugging and lagging) they would be about the same FPS. But I agree bigger is better.

ATI supports EyeFinity or some such Eystravaganza so 2500 x 1600 is definitely a possibility...my friend has always used multi monitor set ups.

Thanks and keep it coming!

EDIT:
    I should clarify...toward the end of his PC enthusiasm my friend used dual monitors, but once he contracted Consolitis he turned into a couch potato and uses his 50" LCD for a monitor at 1080p. Now whether this resurgence of interest in PC will lead to multi monitor set ups I can't really say...he has been known to go way overboard once he gets the bug.
    digibucc says thanks.
  10. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recommendations I've gotten earlier elsewhere never mentioned maxing out at 40 FPS in 1080p with what I've suggested for HW. I have not done any research on it, so I am just going by what you guys tell me right now. Later I am sure my friend will obsessively pour over reviews and articles...I just don't have the time right now.

So I appreciate the input and will take it under advisement.
  11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    He can play on his 50'' LCD from a PC and guess what... he can also do it from the couch with a controler! Not sure if BF3 for PC will support that.
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    The BF3 beta works with my Xbox controller if it matters (although if you use it you won't get a single kill on the pc version, it's like the keyboard and mouse are just more accurate or something)
    digibucc and CyberDruid say thanks.
  13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    same BUT with wireless KB and Mouse. Ive done this many times with BC2 but having to look at such a big TV lead me to dieing alot!
    CyberDruid says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't help but chuckle at the title even though, say, "douche" should really have been used in place of the chosen slur.
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I dunno about that, I'm pwn'ing all sorts of people with my 360 controller. Mind you, gaming with keyboard and mouse just ain't gonna happen for me, so I cannot comment about accuracy differences.

CD, forget 2560x1600, please. Not a job for a single card. I nearly get better framerates @ 5670x1080 than @ 2560x1600. Not sure why, perhaps drivers are well optimized for Eyefinity at this point, I guess.
  16. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's not a douche. But he is a Mac Fag. And my good friend. Whaddaya gonna do but try and help a guy like that out.

I hear you on the crazy monitor set ups. His wife is going to kill him as is just for wanting to spend more money on techno toys.

He's one with Xbox and PS3 console controllers...but back in the day keyboard/mouse agility was astounding. I have no idea how he'll roll with that. He's got all that stuff already so it's a moot point.
  17. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:

get a cheap p67 / z68 that has SLI / Crossfire support probably asrock

4gb DDR3 1866 or 8gb DDR3 1866 just dont use the XMP profiles as usually manually set all timings

6950 2gb x 2 look for good deals no point in 6970 really

CPU + Mobo 2500K + P8P67 PRO
    Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

RAM 8gb 1866 Gskill swap out to 4gb to save $20
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR...

GPU 6950 1gb at 870 core run cool and pre overclocked to 6970 lvls
    2x GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit ...

PSU
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2....

fill in the rest as needed

if he cant afford the 2x 6950 1gb gpus get a single 6950 2gb and overclock it.
    SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2...

could also replace the dual 6950 1gb option with 2x 560 Ti's instead
    CyberDruid says thanks.