1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Macintosh LC II Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cuzza, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, what a blowout this project turned out to be. Nothing has happened in ages. I have decided to drop the whole complicated waterblock idea. It was a fascinating design concept, but the whole thing is flawed and over complicated. I am going to simplify the rig and make it into a HTPC. I'm eyeing up a trinity APU when they come out.
  2. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    First update in ages! Hold your breath..... lol

[​IMG]

I bought this little flex-ATX PSU for the grand sum of $1. And it it in mint condition, looks unused, no dust at all. Hope it works! Only 150W, but with a low-power APU and only a couple of drives, I should be fine.

The PSU pictured above arrived last night and is now sitting in the mac case. I am a bit gutted however. It appears that my estimates of the space inside the case were a bit out. I estimated 41mm of height in there. The PSU is 40mm. It appears to be 1mm too tall. So only 2mm out, but enough to screw me around. But don't worry; I'll make it work.

Anyway, I got cutting with knives and saws and pliers today and made a new opening in the rear of the case for the PSU power plug and ventilation. Check the pics.

Making a mess!

[​IMG]

Here is the hole:

[​IMG]

And here with the PSU in place:

[​IMG]

Now, two weeks later, I bought myself a birthday present:

[​IMG]

Time to Dremel.

So you may recall that the PSU was 1mm too tall. So I have spent about 2 hours cutting and grinding and sanding at the raised edges in one corner of the mac case. Just had to take them down a little bit, still a serious job.

Here's the result. Compare right of pic, that's what it used to all look like:

[​IMG]

I also extended the slot I cut in the rear of the case for the power connector and tidied up around the edges.
    Here's how it looks now with the PSU in place:

[​IMG]

So that's all for now. I have a slot-load BD drive on its way and mounting that baby is going to be tricky. Motherboard is still over the horizon.
  3. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    WAYHEY! Worklog.

Likin' it so far.

Good luck, sub'd.

:)
  4. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    some people have all the fun. :toast:
  5. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Today's progress: minimal. But slow and steady gets you there.

What I have done is cut a hole in the underside of the case for the PSU fan. It will bring in cool air and expel it out the rear of the case. Remember that there is no space inside the case above the PSU so it would be useless if I had put it up the other way, and I sure ain't cutting a hole in the top! Added bonus, the fan mount screws serve as the mounting screws for the entire PSU and she is in there very solidly.

[​IMG]
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Nice log, though has to have the record for slowest as well :toast: :laugh:
  7. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK team, back to Mac

Tonight I have been making up some mounts for the BD drive. This took a long time to get right. I butchered an old laptop and cut up the interior parts for some strips of metal I could bend and cut to the right size, and be able to shorten them and bend them differently in order to get the thing sitting at the right height inside the case. So the dremel and the drill and the scissors (who needs tin-snips?) have been busy.

Here's one of the finished mounts:

[​IMG]

Yeah, it looks like sh*t, but it works, and its the right height. Maybe further down the track I can measure it up and make a nicer looking one.

Here are two of them together:

[​IMG]

These front ones are crucial to get right because they will set the thing at the right height for the slot in the front of the case lid. The back brackets ain't as important, in fact I think I will only screw one of them down.

Here is the drive in place:

[​IMG]

Still need to make some slight adjustments - you can see it is not quite level. That should be easy enough.

Next step - wait for a suitable trinity motherboard to come on the market. Patience is a virtue.
  8. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:

Self explanatory really.

Make sure you wait til the end. Takes 20 secs of so for the drive to load up, then eject itself on instruction from the OS.

And yes, that is Rod Stewart playing in the background.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    subbed
    cool project
  10. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's happening again!!

OK update time:

Thanks to the brilliant people at AlphaCity.co.nz and PBT Couriers, my board and CPU turned up about 6 hours after the order was processed... Frickin' outstanding.

Anyway, here's a shot of the board and associated parts. Phew!! All running sweet on the 150W psu.

[​IMG]

The big issue is that the stock heatsink has no chance of fitting into the mac case. So, time to mod!

Take 1x thermaltake DuOrb:

[​IMG]

Cut in half:

[​IMG]

Try to fit on the motherboard:

[​IMG]

Guess what, it fits perfectly, and exactly the right height to fit in the mac case.... now how to mount it to the board??

So I spent the afternoon with a hacksaw, drill and dremel. Mutilated a AM3 mounting bracket, and some pieces of aluminium off-cuts. The result?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cooler works perfectly, and the CPU is sitting at 10 degrees above ambient in the BIOS. Then I undervolted it and dropped another 3 degrees. So I'm confident the cooler can handle this workload.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Looking forward to seeing more...
  12. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, another minor update.

2 things:

1. RAM has arrived! Shiny Kingston DDR3 1600MHz. I was worried I might need low profile but regular memory fits.

2. I have cut out the back of the case for the plugs and connectors. Admittedly I could have used a backplate and all that but I wanted to leave as much of the case in place for structural integrity. Check the pics.

[​IMG]

<---------->

[​IMG]

So to get this thing running properly I need to order myself a SSD. After that it is just cable management and tidying up a few loose ends.
  13. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff!

:D