1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Macs Can Survive being Shot

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you’re a Mac user and worried about your beautiful new MacBook Pro getting shot in the streets, then you will be pleased to hear that you shouldn’t have a problem. In a rather bizarre event in Brazil, a mugging victim managed to protect himself from being shot by letting his MacBook Pro come between himself and the bullet. Fortunately for him, it worked a treat – but unfortunately for Mac haters, the laptop also survived. Despite a nice hole in the front of the notebook, the machine still functions (to a certain extent at least), but it is not recommended that you try this at home. Perhaps they could integrate that into the next Mac vs PC advert?

[​IMG]
    Source: Engadget

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    You're taking all the good stories, leave some for me! :roll: (just kidding, you're doing a fine job).

3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, but I've been missing out on most of the good stories for about a week now :D

Admittedly this is the type of story you normally post, but I got there first this time :p

4. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    If this had been a SONY... the mugged victim should have given the robbers the laptop without a fight... then BLOWN THEM UP via remote battery. :roll:

5. mysticjon New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay first of all, if i were the person who got shot and had the mac book pro in this case shield it..wouldnt the bulltet hole be located somewhere on the screen or possibly under the mac book pro?? from this picture the marking from the bullet is quite noticible where the screen folds down...so with that said, im impressed with the person shielding the bullet from smaller surface area such as the thickness of the mac book pro lol rather than covering his head with screen part lol....

6. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    yea, that's true
    maybe it's fake?

7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Remember when the HP server was shot with a 50 cal rifle... that was cool. And it worked.

8. mysticjon New Member

Thanks Received:
    hahhaa

9. mysticjon New Member

Thanks Received:
    another point to bring up, how would it even be possible for a bullet not to go through a mac book pro?? a bullet can easily go through many layers of a car door and end up having a dead person behind the car door....and thats NOT at point blank range either....so ur saying a mac book pro with a thin layer of plastic with computer parts inside protected him?? and on top of that a mugger is usually at within 2-4 feet away from u.....if a gun 50 feet away can shoot through a car door in a shoot out and kill a person.. the explain how a gun cant go through a mac book pro within 2-4 feet away from u?? from the pic that is represented as the example, there was barely a scratch

10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I think there's a difference between a sniper rifle, a .44, a .38, a 9mm, and the .22 that the mugger prolly used ;).

11. mysticjon New Member

Thanks Received:
    well first off yeah thats true, 50 feet is roughly about 2 streets wide give or yake why would u need a sniper rifle lol

12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Simple, sniper rifles do more damage :p (kidding, I was only putting it in there for example...a sniper can certainly kill someone that's only using a car door as armor).

13. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    BB gun?

14. mysticjon New Member

Thanks Received:
    but my point is this is BIzzare lol,
    macs suck end of story
    they think they can booste there sales with a story like this

its similar to MS having a cause to donate money to the katrina victims lol

15. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    .50 cal armor piercing vs. Macbook... :D LOL the macbook will win? Not likely.

16. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it really happened it's pure luck. A bunch of factors must have come into play to allow this to occur, and you would probably have a lot of trouble duplicating this if you wanted to.

17. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    maybe with a 22 not with a 45

18. InfDamarvel New Member

Thanks Received:
    50cent got famous off a being shot because they commercialized it. Now I see apple taking a bullet in one of their stupid commercials saying. "Hey PC, if you shoot you, will you still run".

19. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Haven't you seen the new PC tough book commercial where a laptop could take a bullet?

20. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Good Lord, this is ridiculous. I dont think many folks will rush out to buy a macbook to substitute a bullet proof vest.

21. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the other week I spotted a laptop that had been with a soldier in Iraq which got shot in the lid, and the bullet didn't go through. I don't know much about that one, I'm guessing it's at a longer range, but if a laptop can stop a bullet going through it in the thinnest direction, then this could be possible. Very lucky admittedly, but possible.

22. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    and he still sucks ass doing his job (whatever that is, some call it singing) so a mac won't be any better :)

23. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whilst I don't doubt you are correct in their motives, I think you will find it is nigh on impossible for a company like MS to donate large amounts of money to anything privately. Transactions such as these are tax deductible and will therefore appear in the companies financial accounts.

People always trawl through these reports for a story so it would have come out one way or another. If they had kept quiet about it, when the story broke it would have been run as some sort of conspiracy theory (MS Secret Funds To Gulf States!!!)

The Mac story - its the modern day "The Bible saved my life" story where a soldier get shot in the chest but the bullet stops at the last page of his pocket bible. (Im not suggesting Steve Jobs is God)

24. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    The battery stopped the bullet.

I'm amazed it dodged his ram.. probably milimeters away.

And chances are, if you own and like 1 mac, you're gonna have more than 1.

Just a trend I've noticed from people that have them... Never a single mac, owner.

25. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I owned a single Mac. I remember when I first got my iBook G4 reading about the carbinite they make the casing with, and I thought to myself that if worse came to worse I would use it to try and block a bullet.

Now toughbooks, those are tough. Ive actually taken a hammer one....it was messed up afterwards(really old toughbook by the way, I found it in a dumpster....dont ask)

It turned on....sort of worked.....I would imgaine the newer ones could survive a lot more then a 9mm or .22 pistol round.