• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mad Catz Announces Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. System for PC

Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. ("Mad Catz") announced today that the Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. (Hands On Throttle and Stick), a product designed and developed to give flight simulation enthusiasts the most realistic flight experience at an affordable price, is expected to ship to consumers in early 2014.

The X-55 RHINO is styled after modern fighter jet control systems and was built from the ground up to deliver a multitude of customizable options never before seen in an H.O.T.A.S. system. Whether flying a modern fighter, single- or multi-engine aircraft, or even a retro single-seat plane, the X-55 RHINO supplies all the control surface options required to achieve the exact level of aerial performance aspiring pilots demand. The X-55 RHINO features enhanced 16-bit hall-effect sensors in the axes, four swappable springs for the joystick so you can dial in your preferred stick tension, and twin lockable throttles with a friction adjustment knob that can be set on the fly.

"Our Saitek brand strives to replicate reality and deliver a great experience to the flight simulation community," said Darren Richardson, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz. "We believe the X-55 RHINO accomplishes these goals and is another example of our ability to deliver outstanding products to passionate consumers."

For detailed product information, please visit www.saitek.com/x55.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Too bad the vast majority of games get confused when there are more axes (not hatchets, silly plurals) than a 360 pad has.

It'll be fine for DCS and maybe FSX/Prepar3D but most other games will choke. I'm incredibly annoyed that the toe brakes on my Saitek/Mad Catz Combat Rudder Pedals are seen by most games as the X/Y axis of the joystick, thus causing planes to wildly roll/pitch out of control in most games. Worst of all, there is no option to disable the toe brakes in the Saitek software.

Not to mention most games have way more precision with a mouse, War Thunder especially. Anyone trying to be competitive with a joystick in that is just cannon fodder.

I did find setting up my Thrustmaster Hotas X for BF4 resulted in easier kills in BF4's Air Superiority mode, but the jets in that game are such a joke anyway. I did it for an unlock and don't plan on doing any more flying other than helicopters with the mouse.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
This looks like a cheap Thrustmaster H.O.T.A.S. knockoff made with plastic parts. I hope when Star Citizen goes live, I can make better use of mine.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
They look very nice but the main question is how much it costs and whether it will give me a deadline after prolonged use. Changeable spring with a little color which is not at all visible is overkill.
For my x52 I pay 70 € and would not say that this hunk of plastic with a better sensor is worth more.
I do not have the where to tested before they decide to buy so reviewe will be nice .