1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mafia II memory leak ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Widjaja, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed I am getting a memory leak in Mafia II when driving after a couple of hours.

Anyone getting the same issue and found out how to resolve this, or is this the result of yet another poor game port?

I have heard through searching google, buying the DLC packs resolves this issue.

2. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I've just finished the game, it really only starts to stutter while driving after a few hours, then you either restart the game or your pc and it's gone other than that I didn't bother finding another solution as rebooting was no problem for me.

3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's what I read.
    Trying out the DLC at the moment to see if for some reason it has been fixed.

4. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    What app do you use to detect memory leak?

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd suggest using process monitor from this thread to monitor the memory usage. also, the LAA mod may help reduce the stutter (assuming you have a 64 bit OS and extra ram)

Bjorn_Of_Iceland says thanks.
  6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Diagnosed by the behavior of the game rather than an application telling me.
    General symptom is a game which will run smooth for x amount of time then eventually start to become sluggish and in some cases freeze the system of cause it to CTD.

Playing the DLC Jimmy's Vendetta at the moment and not noticing any issues I had without the DLC so will see over time.
    Back to the game :)

7. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I just use task manager's process tab. lol. see if an app is accumulating memory overtime, making it larger and larger for no reason. That may not always be the case for a memory leak though.. as sometimes, memory address gets left alone and unrelated to the application, making it 'unreleasable' by the application

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the process monitor works better, since it tracks min and max even when you cant see task manager. takes the human error part out of the measuring.