1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mafia II - PhysX Video and Kane & Lynch 2 Multiplayer Preview

Discussion in 'Games' started by r9, May 27, 2010.

1. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Interesting the physx video is running on IBM and ATi hardware :p
  3. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Xbox 360 PhysX... wouldn't that be software driven PhysX?

o_O
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    That's the main reason why we think NVIDIA is totally full of bullshit. Like Core i7 with 6GB of RAM and HD5850 or better couldn't do all this. Right, you need GeForce, the rest can be a Celeron 700MHz and 1GB of RAM and it will still work. Just because GeForce is the main graphic card. NVIDIA, go wank my willy, you imbeciles. I mean their own promotion videos are contradicting everything they say about PhysX. I mean wtf are you thinking...
    Mussels says thanks.
  5. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    You made my day with that remark.

:rockout:

I saw a BC2 video on YouTube that had a powered by nVIDIA graphics remark on it and it was actually being played on the 360 - you could see the buttons in game.

nVIDIA are f'ing dumb!
  6. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Havok seems to be a great engine, must be running that?
  7. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    If so, nVIDIA are even dumber than I thought.
  8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Havok is whats used in GTA IV, and I like the results of running into object with Niko, can get amusing. It's also used in motorstorm which had good ryshics, I havent tried Starcraft II beta, but its in that and Diablo 3 I guess. And also used in The Force Unleashed and Wolfenstien, it's getting pretty popular, especially since it doesnt require hardware.
  9. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Don't get me wrong man, I know Havok is great in all but my point is - if nVIDIA are watermarking videos saying it's PhysX when it actually isn't they really are c*nts. Still, no proof in that video, just your speculation.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  10. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    well the video is obviously wrongly named coz it is supposed to be the pc version trailer not the shitbox360 trailer
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh its physX... its just not HARDWARE physx. theres a reason i made a thread about this issue some time ago.

Less than 10 actual games use hardware PhysX, most just use it in a software only capacity - and to my knowledge, none of them (Except Unreal 3) use it for anything other than fancy effects.
    You know, it never affects gameplay or makes the FPS faster, it just triples the amount of debris to ludicrous levels when you shoot a wall. You can shoot the wall and have a mountain of debris come off - but it fades away fast, and the wall never gets thinner or punched right through... the OTHER engines of the games do that, regardless of whether hardware PhysX is on or off.
    1Kurgan1 and r9 say thanks.
  12. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I looked at that thread - nVIDIA and PhysX are a joke to me. I haven't bought anything nVIDIA since my nForce2 based mobo and it'll stay that way.
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but consoles run full PhysX without even hearing about NVIDIA (X360 specifically which is running an ATI chip).
    And then NVIDIA is saying on the other end that it just can't be done without GeForce and CUDA. Go fool someone else NVIDIA...
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    It could easily be done through software and that nvidia has given it multicore support which the pc lacks.
  15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    they run software. zero hardware acceleration, just like the majority of PC titles.

as Drpepper says above, all it takes is some multithreading and they can do it all in software anyway.
  16. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It does? Pretty much all systems use at least dual core, more and more are quad cores and lately 6 cores are getting more and more popular with latest Phenom X6. So that's hardly an excuse.
    I really wonder how powerful is PowerPC chip in X360 compared to C2D at 3GHz.

@Mussels
    But they intentionally don't want to do that while such videos from consoles are direct spitting in their own bowl...