1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Magicool Diy watercooling kit good or bad?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by white phantom, Oct 10, 2011.

1. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys New here so this is my first post :toast:

Anyways i was just wondering what you guys would suggest me to do since i have never really found any useful information on this kit, The kit in question is a "magicool DiY watercooling kit" which even though the attached link is £72.99 i can pick up new and delivered for £65. I have never used, nor had experience with watercooling kits before and was looking for something cheap to start as i dont have the cash to splash out on a better known brand. I would like to cool an intel core 2 quad Q6600 and maybe give it a slight overclock?
    So any of you guys got experience with this kit or would i be best sticking to air cooling such as a arctic cooler pro or anything you can suggest would be much obliged :)

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Magicool-DIY-Watercooling-Kit-775-1156-1366-AM2-AM3_11056.html

Sorry if this post is long winded souding :eek:

Thanks

white phatom
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Defintely need someone to come along to speak for the brand and waterblock (which I can't), but it looks like it'll do the job, though 1 x 120 size radiator probably won't get you any overclocking records. Check out Corsair hydro offerings too.

And welcome :toast:
  3. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply and welcome Sasqui :)

Yeah i can find very little information or videos of the kit in action all i can find is a couple of blurry videos or videos showing off someones circus lighting in their pc lol. As for the corsair hydro offerings i have looked at them however the reason i am asking about this kit is i would like to try my hand at a D.I.Y kit instead of a sealed unit, that and the fact i think tubing n pumps look cooler than an all in one unit. I just dont want to waste cash on this if a corsair or air cooler would be a better option :p
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Much more rewarding to DIY! I'd probably never do a sealed kit myself. What mail order shops are available in Scotland? You might want to do a complete DIY kit, pick out rad, pump, block, tubing, resevoir, etc. You can find quite a bit of stuff on the BST forums on TPU

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

International shipping would probably be the only issue.

Cheers
  5. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks shall take a look only problem is i'm short on cash n that :/ being a student ya know lol :ohwell: , im not really looking to spend more than the price of the magicool i decided would there be any chance of any watercooling setups for around 65 quid? :/
  6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pump is slow, hose is restrictive. Honestly no reason to buy this over a AIO water cooler already set up for you imho. The only thing this offers over a Hydro is that you can customize where it goes or how it looks. Results wont be much better than the AIO coolers though.
  7. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Yes that pump is cheap crappy one, waterblock seems good to me ( it looks ).
    The rest is VALUE category products, wich is good.
  8. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    So basically what we have discovered is that the all in one solutions from corsair will give the same performance if not slightly more? due to a cheapy pump, so best bet is to stay away from this kit then guys? what would be a good alternative? :ohwell:
  9. Dave63

Dave63 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you look at a XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Kit to start and you can expaned on it by adding a GPU block.
  10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would just get a big air cooler if you're only going to being doing slight overclocks.

Can get decent ones for £30 quid or so : ]
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    +1

I went water cooling very recently but spent a bit more (stopped being a student in 1998 :laugh:). I had a prolimatech megahalem air cooler with a couple of decent akasa fans and it kept my i7 920 overclocked (hyperthreading off) at 3.6GHz and kept it under 70 degrees without too much noise.

In fact - I'll give you my old megahalem and two noctua fans if you visit Glasgow any time soon You'll need to get your own thermal paste). Just pm me if you're interested. (or i'll post them if you paypal the p&p).

:)
    white phantom says thanks.
  12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

If he doesn't I will :p ;)
  13. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I would stay away from that kit. It looks cheap and the pump looks pretty dodgy. You don't want to ruin your first experience with h2o using a crap kit. I would say go for the XSPC RS750 kit, they are only $130AUD here which is around 90 pounds but that site has them listed for 140 or so.... Shop around and see if you can find it cheaper.

Its a top kit for the price (in Aussie anyway).

You won't be able to do much OC'ing with a single 120mm radiator without having some hi flow and therefore noisey fans. Make sure you get something with at least a 240mm radiator. :)

Enjoy, once you get the bug you will be hooked.
  14. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Whereabouts in Glasgow? :laugh:
  15. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah can only do slight overclocks because of this silly asus board :banghead: bought it back a couple of years when i didn't care to much and wanted something fast turns out its a pain in the backside for overclocking :laugh::laugh: shall learn in the future though lol

Sound good :D PM sent mate ;)
  16. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thankyou to the 54thvoid who followed up on this claim by having the megahalem on my doormat this saturday :D amazing cooler keeping my q6660 stock on low to mid 20's on idle and 35-40 full load :eek: , cheapo watercoolers out the question now :laugh::laugh:

Big thanks again great guy :toast::toast:
    the54thvoid says thanks.
  17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Carmyle, East end ish.

Used to be south side but moved away from the druggies and jakies. I now have a garden and bird feeders and all that pzazz.