1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Main rig won't power on :'(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NdMk2o1o, May 9, 2011.

1. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Need some help troubleshooting my pc, turned it on this morning and it's stuck in a cycle of the fans spinning up for a second then stopping. Haven't been able to get it to post. Have tried unplugging everything aside from one stick of ram, cpu and gpu and it still won't start. Reset bios by taking battery out and still can't get it to post.

Am 90% sure it's the mobo though if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of what else it could be it would be much appreciated :cry:

2. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    the one stick of ram,have you tried swapping that with another?
    can you use onboard gpu?
    you should get error beeps with any of those anyway,have you got speaker plugged in?

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you troubleshooted it correctly. The only thing else would be the CPU HS and CPU or a case short. I keep a heavy coper HS around with no fan to bench test boards. I just set it on the CPU and start it up. 1 stick mem, power supply, V card and monitot. Nothing else. 9/10 times its the motherboard. But you need to test every part to be sure. One time I had a board not post and it turned out that it was a 800 fsb board and 667 memory would not work. Only 800 DDR

4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    tried different ram, tried no ram, no gpu just cpu and nothing else and am getting no beeps, just the fans spinning up for a second before turning off, it continues doing this until I unplug/switch off the PSU

5. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cleaned the power supply recently?

6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    looks like I found the culprit, I took off my Noctua the other day to reapply thermal paste and there is a tiny washer on each of the 2 screws that fasten onto the backplate, one of them had came loose and ended up inside the case, my betting is that it has shorted the board :banghead:

7. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    dammit i just came here to say take the mobo out the case!
    i was just upgrading my boys cooler and lost a screw,same kind of thing, i removed mobo from case found lost screw and presto,it boots!

8. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Well have been in touch with Ebuyer they are going to RMA the board, only thing is they have discontinued this on Ebuyer so will have to get something else, and I have a feeling the RMA will take at least a week or 2 :banghead::mad:

9. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    at least you are getting a replacement board:)

10. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    That is if it definately is the board as I can't test anything else, will find out soon enough when ebuyer test it :cry: