1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Major assignment disappeared

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Jmatt110, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have my major assignment for the year due tomorrow. I had my friend email me a copy of my copy of the word doc from school (at home today working on it).

Opened it from the attachment (Windows Live Mail) and wrote ~2000 words extra on it, saving every few minutes. However, I forgot to change the save location after I opened it from the email.

So I have no idea where it saved to, IF it saved at all (little loading bar down the bottom of Word said it was saving) or how to recover it. Opening the attachment from the email again unsuprisingly opens back up the original copy.

I did a search for all .doc files and that turned up nothing. Anybody know the location where attachments get saved to using Windows Live Mail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Jmatt

2. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should be in your default save location? C:\Your Documents? you could do a search for it using your internet explorer browser address bar or windows search.

3. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope not in there :( I searched my entire computer all .doc files and that turned up nothing.

4. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    poopy, humm I have an idea when you opened it it should of dl'd to your temporary internet folder? Im not sure exactly where that is maybe documents my recieved folder naaa humm someone will know I'll try and find out.

5. wolf2009 Guest

wow , that's a serious problem . good luck to you .

maybe it was not a doc file, try searching for its name .

6. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope not in my temporary internet folder :( Tried .doc .docx and .rtf all got nothing.

7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    go into word and try to click open? or i think theirs an option to list recently opened documents in word try their and just resave in a location youll know. im an open office guy but i remember this particular method of getting stuff because our school comps blew optiplex FTL

8. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The best I can get is a shortcut to the original file on my ipod (which was't there before). :(

9. mello_newf

mello_newf

Thanks Received:
    It should be in "Username"/AppData/Local/Temp no??

So from what I understand you clicked on the .doc file in live mail and choose to open it up in word not save it correct? Then you typed 2k words in word clicking the save button every few min, but you didn't click save as or ever change where the saved location was?

10. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep thats right. And it's not in my temp folder, checked there too :(

11. mello_newf

mello_newf

Thanks Received:
    what version of Word are you using?

12. mello_newf

mello_newf

Thanks Received:
    Well i tried to duplicate what you did but I have word 07 and it gives me a warning msg when I try to save like you did saying you must change the file name or it cant save because its a ready only file. But Im thinking word 03 will just keep saving the ready only file and not say shit. so when you close your browser (im assuming you did) then it will have disappeared with it. This is what I gather form my tests.

13. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im using Word 07. I duplicated it again by re-opening an email attached word document, changing something, saving and it just disappears.