1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Make DVI-D cable from DVI-I cable?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MN12BIRD, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone done this? I have a DVI-D monitor (ie doesn't take DVI-I cables since it doesn't have the 4 extra holes to fit) and I happen to have a DVI-I cable with the 4 extra analog pins. From what I can see the 4 extra pins are Analog R, G, B and Sync so they're only used for Analog passthrough (ie DVI-I to VGA) and that makes sense. But from what I can see the long slot in the middle of the 4 extra pins is longer or something. This slot is ground but is it ground only used for the Analog or is it also used in conjuction with the digital signals?

Basically can I cut not only the extra 4-pins but the slot out of a DVI-I cable and use it like a DVI-I cable?

I've seen some other people asking but no one mentioned the extra slot and if it's needed or not.

So just wondering if anyone's ever done this. I actually have a few monitors and a few DVI-I cables here so it will save me from buying two DVI-D cables if this will work.

2. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    those extra 4 pins are indeed for the analog signal in theory you could just cut the 4 pins and you'd have exactly what your looking for seeing as how they are not expensive cables to begin with, i would say try it and post the results, the worst you'd be out is about $15

i'll give you a thanks if you post your results ;)
    (im sure others would too)

3. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they're not my cables it's for a job but I'm going to give it a try tommorow anyway.

The thing I was really curious about is the ground slot. I didn't beleive it myself until I checked but that slot (slot to the one side that the RGBS pins are on top and below of) is actually wider on the DVI-I so even if you cut the 4 pins off it still won't fit into the DVI-D female end. So as long as that wide ground slot is only used for the analog section it will still work once pulled/cut but if that's a shared ground. Might not work. If they don't mind me trying on their cable though yeah I'll still give it a try tommorow and let you know if it works.