• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Make yourself a coffee first.. You'll need one..

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Because I can't get anything else to load..

When you get the blank screen after startup have you tried -

Ctrl + Alt + Delete (XP) or
Ctrl + Shift + Esc (Vista)

to bring up Task Manager, then go to Applications tab and click New Task and then enter explorer.exe in the window that pops up.

Kymberly_S

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Hi, yes I have.. A window pops up saying that the administrator has locked access to this function, even though there is no administrator..

Whilst in Safe Mode, one thing that came up was that only 'Mummy' (my old user name and yes I know, highly original), Administrator (never made this. Just came up) and 'D Roller' (the user name I put there for my son) have the rights to change .... I can't remember what it was I was trying to do.. But that was odd due to the fact that I changed the user name 'Mummy' to 'D Roller' but 'Mummy' was still there and in action it seemed.

Kymberly_S

more help please

Ok.. This time when I went in through safe mode, the icons that were coming up giving me the option to go in as Administrator or 'user' didn't come up.

Another window came up with 'Mummy' in it (my old user name) but, giving me the option to put in another name if I wanted. So I put in Administrator and through this ONLY a black screen loaded.. no menu bar, icons on desktop etc.. BUT I am able to get the task manager up.

How do I get the file on the memory stick to run through task manager please??

I did go... Task Manager, then go to Applications tab and click New Task and then enter explorer.exe in the window that pops up. and a window came up with a red circle with a cross in it which said, Can not find explorer.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again....etc. etc...

>>>>>

I ran the scan and it didn't work.. is this because I was trying from safe mode.. the only area I can access..?

Last edited:

Namslas90

I have had this prob, but I forgot the app i used to fix it

its a little app where you reset the network keys, anyone remember the name of it,

and I had to use a pendrive to send the app from another pc

but the virus has to be removed first, got any old norton cd's laying around that are usually bundled with alot of pc stuff

Winsockfix -http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/WinSockFix-Download-15337.html

Free download, restores internet settings to windows default, allows you to get online and download the tools needed to scan and remove the viri.

Kymberly_S

Thanks for that.. But...

The thing is.. Even in Safe Mode now I am getting a black screen.

I can access task manager BUT ... My understanding is that you can't run anything through safe mode??

Is this correct?

I can't get on the net with the laptop.

I can't get into the normal user area.

I can't get anything up on any desktop apart from a black screen.

I CAN get task manager up in Safe Mode, but I don't know what to do with it.. :(

Namslas90

If you can get it to start up and into safe mode; goto START > RUN - type in MRT and click enter.

MRT is the built in Malicious Software Removal Tool. If the virus has not progressed far enough you should still be able to run it.

The virus you picked up is probably a VUNDO. There is also a utility for removing that.

Vundofix -http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/VundoFix-Download-33165.html

Use a second computer and a flash drive (mem stick) to transfer programs to the infected computer and unplug the infected from the internet untill after cleaning it up. Vundo's like to connect to the virus server and reload the virus during and after your attempts to remove it.
Thus reloading the virus and others to keep the computer infected until you "pay the ransome".

Sir_Real

Processor PC 1: Q6600@3.25,1.34v / PC 2: E8200@3.88,1.35v
Motherboard PC 1: Asus P5Q-SE / PC 2: Asus P5Q-E
Cooling PC 1: Air / PC 2: Air
Memory PC 1: 4gb Ocz PC8500 / PC 2: 4gb Kingston hx PC8500
Video Card(s) PC 1: Saphirre HD4870x2 2GB / PC 2: 2x XFX HD4870 1GB in xfire
Storage PC 1: Samsung 750GB (win7) + Seagate Barracuda 500GB (XP pro) / PC 2: Seagate Barracuda 160GB
Display(s) 2x HANNS-G HH251 24.6" 1980x1080 LCD
Power Supply PC 1: CIT gold 750watt / PC 2: Powercool 850watt modular
Software PC 1: Win7 home 64 + XP pro 32 / PC 2: Win7 home 64
Benchmark Scores PC 1: 3Dmark2006: 18674 PC 2: 3Dmark2006: 19250
The thing is.. Even in Safe Mode now I am getting a black screen.

I can access task manager BUT ... My understanding is that you can't run anything through safe mode??

Is this correct?

I can't get on the net with the laptop.

I can't get into the normal user area.

I can't get anything up on any desktop apart from a black screen.

I CAN get task manager up in Safe Mode, but I don't know what to do with it.. :(

I dought you will ever sort out that installation of windows. I repair many pc's infected with viruses like the one your laptop had. Trying to remove them often corrupts or deletes important system files thus rendering the operating system full of bugs & unusable.
I'd just format the hard drive & reinstall the os & all updates.

Kymberly_S

I reckon it's going to just be that...

Well. I was told to do that about 2 hrs ago? I think this is going to be the only course of action..

I just browsed (through the task manager) the files in the other area of the computer only to see that even the system tools are missing.. goodness knows what else.

I have the original disks to the laptop.. my mums disks are here too.. same model laptop.. mine are blue and hers are black I think..

If I put hers in it will just come up with a window saying that these are not the right disks for the computer and then I will just have to put the other in .. I mean it won't blow up or grow arms and slap me or anything right?

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Hi, yes I have.. A window pops up saying that the administrator has locked access to this function, even though there is no administrator..

To restore security settings to default read here -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

EDIT:If it was me and you have all your data removed from the laptop...then I would do a fresh install again.It may well save time and alot of frustration.

Kymberly_S

you know what?

Think I going to have to ... But it's all cool.. I do have all my stuff off there.. And maybe it has been a lot of mucking around when I should have reformatted right away..

BUT.. I did learn some new things here, helpful too. I am always fixing things up so I am sure this will come in handy .. not just for me but for the 'thread dwellers' too.

Thank you so much to everyone that has imparted their pearls of wisdom.

Very much appreciated. I hope I haven't made anyone feel I have wasted their time.

Warm Regards to all.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
At least with the fresh install you can be sure all is fixed and not worry if you got all the virus/problems removed.

Kymberly_S

Precisely :)

Yes.. As I realised that the virus had beat me (apart from me not losing any of my stuff nar, nar).. I thought I would run the other things anyway, as there is no harm now the decision has been made..

Nothing is working though and I am running it all through safe mode.

Thank you.. All... :) It's 2am here so I am hitting the hay.. Night!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
even if you didnt succeed in removing the virus this time, you've learned some preventative measures as well as possible removal techniques for future infections.

Let us know if you have any trouble with the format and reinstall.

Kymberly_S

Hi again,
Just wanted to say that I really appreciate your help and I also have to say that it is very comforting to know that when I do put the disks in to reformat I am going to have help.
Last time with the other computer, where the screen went black and with the re formatting only going so far.. and after me having soooo many computers (family) to look at.. I was soooooo cranky... It really sucked big time :(
It (the computer) is still sitting there waiting and that was last July.

Thanks again will find the disks probably tonight and have another go. Now I am going for a walk with my pooch..

:)

Came back from walk.. Gathered the strength to face this.... annnndddd (drum roll please)

It worked!!! THANKS for all the help..

Now I am inspired to have a go at the other one that black screened me..

I LOVE it when things work!!

Now that I am going to tackle the other laptop that black screened me.. should I go on and on and on in this thread or should I start another one.. ?
:) :) :)

Last edited: