1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making a custom frame

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Tyr.1358, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Tyr.1358

Tyr.1358 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have decided to make a custom computer, completely from scratch. I'm having a little trouble working out how to make a frame for it though. I was thinking of 1"x1" acrylic bar stock at first, but then I realized that the way I wanted to go wouldn't quite work out because the places that I had joined the bars with machine screws were also the places where I had placed the threaded holes to hold the outer face plate panels onto the frame. I moved the bars in to fix the problem, and then added some webbing. But it still doesn't look too sturdy to me.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1048/32293919.jpg
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/34/82741089.jpg

Now, at first that looks retarded because there is no mounting for drives or a motherboard tray. That isn't exactly what I am worried about, I already have that designed. I am working from the outside in; the assembly for the drive tray and mobo tray will drop right into the frame. Those two assemblies will hang off of the frame, instead of rest on the base. I need a support structure for the outside panels specifically, but it needs to hold about 200lb worth of equipment. Should I switch to aluminum bar stock and have a local shop weld it instead? Put a big triangle in the side of it?

I have already decided what the layout is going be, and even what it is going to look like. I have about 30 11x17 sheets of paper with notes and diagrams on them. Wish I had a scanner or even a camera so I could share :( I bet you guys would love it.
  2. Tyr.1358

Tyr.1358 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Solidworks has a program that can create a point matrix in my model, and then solve an equation for them based on restraints and pressure or force. Unfortunately I can't use COSMOS to test for breaking points because the elastic modulus for perspex (acrylic) hasn't been defined. The program can run the force application test if I set the material to 1060 aluminum though.

But apparently industrial aluminum extrusion stock won't hold up. It's FOS (factor of safety) with my computers weight applied to the frame comes out to .041.

So I think I will just use my current design only with solid aluminum and have the frame contracted out to a local welder. It will be crazy heavy, but it will reek of quality.
  3. Tyr.1358

Tyr.1358 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, its going to have to be solid aluminum. This time the FOS comes out to 4.9, which means it will hold about 600 pounds suspended from the top rather comfortably.

Thanks for listening anyways TPU.