1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Male player playing as a female character: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mega-Japan, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    First of all, let me throw something out of the gate, I am not gay, and I have absolutely nothing against them. But for whatever reason, I have always enjoyed playing as a female character in any game that lets me choose the gender of who I play with (except maybe in Pokémon, though that hardly counts). Some local friends find this to be weird, but is it really?

When I am asked, "why do you choose a girl?", I like to say it is because I like girls, but they don't seem to swallow that excuse. In team RPG's like Tales, Fire Emblem, and Dragon Age, I always choose my team to be full of females, unless of course, I'm forced to have a male in the party (usually a male lead). Usually there is no problem here since these are [mainly] single-player games. But what about when it's done in an MMORPG? I don't choose to play as a female character to pretend to be a gaming girl or anything of the sort, I simply choose so because I like it. Perhaps it's because of the "beauty" I see in these female figurines/models that attract me more than you generic rough-looking male.

Hell, I dislike games like God of War for the SOLE fact that my main characters is an ugly blood thirsty spartan. I kept complaining, "man, this dude is sooo ugly" while beating all 3 games. Beauty is a thing I'm into, both inside and outside. I'm not a 250lbs dude sitting in front of a computer, I actually like to stay fit and dress well.

But anyways, seriously, what are your opinions about this?

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's fine and dandy until you start getting chatted up by a male character (probably being played by some ultra sexy vixen who likes playing guys).

There's no issue playing a female character - it's a game. But i think most guys that play girls end up playing lesbians.

Nothing better than Macho woman with guns. (Incidentally also a cheapo old school dice and paper role playing game i once bought way back in the early 90's). :laugh:

Have fun and remember to shave your legs.

3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    So you have something more enjoyable to look at :p

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    My secondary character on a lot of RPGs is always female. I play myself first, then create a female character. As it is, I've played more of my female character in Mass Effect than my male. My thinking is that it gives me something nice to look at, along with being able to experiment with different choices. Though my females usually turn out lesbian... xD

5. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I played TombRaider over a decade back always as a female and it was fun and sexy.
    And I also hate it when I am forced to play a shitty character like, say, Duke Nukem or holywood marines.

But not that I wouldn't prefer to play a cool male character like Bond, James Bond.

6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    As long as one doesn't choose female character to apply nude patch so they could masturbate to it playing as female character is pretty normal.

Personally I love games with female characters because "boob physics" rocks.

7. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    I always found that to be so weird. The nude patch thing that is. I remember seeing a lot of those when looking for mods for Skyrim. Why would I want to go around killing monsters naked when I can dress in some badass white robes and kill them with style? :sigh:

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Agree, that's weird. However even without nude patches many female characters wear ridiculous/revealing outfits. Because of that games start to look less realistic.

9. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I have a female Alt that i spend a lot of time on in EVE-Online, i created her and wasn't planning on using her much. I usually refer to my characters in the 3rd person while i'm playing as i have a few and "I" doesn't distinguish who i am talking about.

I've been chatted up a couple of times, they always continued when i told them i am male.... but that is eve.

10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Other than that, why would you care what they think? The correct answer is "because you can". Also, it beats looking at some guys ass while you play.

n-ster says thanks.
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Homophobe. j/k

12. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    You mean like every female in Mortal Kombat? But you know, I'd rather go with little clothes compared to excessive armor. Say, if I choose a warrior class character for the sake of using the sword, a metal suit of armor doesn't have to go along with it.

This is the type of character I like playing as

Not any of this

13. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    in my humble opinion, choosing a female character as male is perfectly fine. I myself prefer to play a male character, but i can see the appeal of playing a female character, and also have multiple friends who like to play female characters even though they are male themselves.(and they are also generally seen as "normal dudes" in case anyone finds this important)

In the end Imho it all comes down to personal preference, and if you like to play some game as a female, why not?! It doesn't immediately mean you want to be female irl aswell.

14. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Well, a good reason is this: I am male. I know what it is to be male. If I am playing a RPG, I typically want to role play as something I am not. Thus, playing a female is just a logical step.

I tend to find that when I play a male character I stay more true to my real self, and I do not explore the role playing to its limits. Essentially, my male characters are typically similar to me: When I play a male character, I typically view my choices as "What would I do?". My female characters, though, run the whole gamut between angelic princesses and cold blooded assassins who care for nothing more than their paycheck. In general, the gender disparity allows me a larger degree of disjointedness between my personality and the personality of my character.

MrFresh and the54thvoid say thanks.
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    The very essence of Role-playing. Well said :toast:

16. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    I always play with a female sprite.

I've always justified it as anyone that can look at a mans arse for X hours must be gay.

17. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    Well said indeed. The one time I did choose a male character a while ago, I tried to model it after myself. It wasn't nearly as satisfying, and went back to playing as my sexy vixen. I tend not to go for either angelic princesses or cold blooded assassins, but rather the smart ass sarcastic beatch xD.

18. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You've met my gf?

19. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Not yet anyways :).

20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    your not alone, I do it too, especially on alot of the free MMO's where you have no choice but to pick a chick for a certain class but then there are the games that are gender locked and end up being sexist and thats just a plain waste of time.

21. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of which, I'd like to hear more of people's experience with using opposite gender characters in MMO's. Also, what's the first thing you think of when you meet a female character? What about once you realize it's a guy playing as such?

22. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Generally the name gives it away.

You see a female BE paladin in WoW called Spankuhard. You know it's a man.

Females seem to pick names that are character related. And fitting for a girl to be called.

Men pick names that depict an action, event, or something the char does.

You do get the odd exception to that rule but generally the name tells you more than the sprite.

Ray_Rogers2109 and Isenstaedt say thanks.
  23. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Depends how you play, if you role play as the female character then .... maybe there are issues that need to be addressed there unless you're of course trying to scam a desperate male hardcore gamer in an MMO :roll:.

If you're not role-playing yourself into the game then it makes alot of sense that a guy (or myself) would be alot more interested in watching a sexy heroin in skimpy armor kicking ass as opposed to a muscular dude punishing other dudes for hours.

EDIT: Take the new street fighter vs Tekken game for example and in a hypothetical scenario you are forced to watch two characters battle it out for 4-5 hours straight which would you pick?

Cammy/Poison VS Chun-Li or Ken/Kazuya VS Ryu... >_>

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  24. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    personally, I dont see a problem with it

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    maybe in game you can be anyone that you may not be in real world and being female character is possible in game :cool: