1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mandriva "spring" 2009

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Logos, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Logos

Logos New Member

Thanks Received:
    can't help you about NV drivers in Mandriva 'cause I run an Intel chip, but feel free to browse their forums, that's the graphics card section:
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewforum.php?f=91

but if you're looking for a "light" distro, I'm not sure Mandriva is an option. You can always opt for "one" (Gnome or KDE live CDs) instead of the so called "mandriva free DVD" ("one" is free as well) that I'm using.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Logos

Logos New Member

Thanks Received:
    just wanted to add: one thing that bothers me a bit with Mandriva. They "officially" care about license infringements. While most other distros don't and everything needed can be found in repositories, like codecs for audio and video. So one difference between Mandriva and Ubuntu for instance is that Mandriva has a so called "power pack", a commercial version that includes those codecs. Now on the other side, as soon as you get into the Mandriva thing, you learn that some very unofficial repositories exist where anything "bad" can be found. They're called the "plf" repositories (plf stands for "penguin liberation front" lol). So, very officially, those plf repositories are not supported, while it's known some Mandriva devs are involved there. I don't like that very much to be honest. Not to mention that I haven't been so able to play some videos...I haven't found what I needed, may be it's there, may be it's not (in the plf repos)...I didn't really insist in searching. I dual-boot with Windows and I honestly find it more convenient to switch to Windows where everything is available and so easily, and quickly.
    You're even prompted to buy a codec pack called Codeina when attempting to play some files...for instance, my flv or mp4 files stop running after 15 seconds, and the interface that plays them just closes automatically. They (in the forums) call it a bug, or are saying that I don't have the required (free) codecs installed...this has been driving me nuts for a while and I just gave up. Now don't tell me fairy tales when files just start playing normally and suddenly stop, and always after 15 seconds :D

OK this said, if I looked more into it, I'd probably find what's needed to avoid all that mess. I'll probably do it...later ;) . I didn't have these problems at all when I was running PCLinuxOS (based off of Mandriva)...my only reasons for the switch is that pclos is very late on KDE 4 integration (they're still stuck to 3.5 atm), and they don't and won't have a 64 bit version.

edit: don't get me wrong, I'll still stick to Mandriva 'cause it is, in my opinion, one of the most stable distro with KDE; and they did an amazing integration job with KDE 4.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009