1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mapping hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Thrall, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I'm stumped at why I can't map a network drive between my 2 computers. I'm trying to map a drive via the network that I shared on my desktop to my laptop but I don't see the desktop or the drive in window's network places on the laptop even though i put them both in the same workgroup. The Vista desktop will ping the Win 7 laptop but the laptop won't successfully ping the desktop (i.e. it can't find it). They both have the automatically handed out ip of 192.168.1.something and I checked the router's settings and I didn't see any settings in there that could be messing with it. I've tried restarting both computers, manually giving them ip's, and even using the network magic software that sometimes comes with routers and none of it has helped. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks in advance!
  2. Vagike New Member

Thanks Received:
    check your 'Network and Sharing center' on your vista machine.

I have not dealt windows 7 yet. entering the the IP of the machine in windows explore will bring up all shared drives/folders in vista.

example: \\192.168.0.198\e
    Thrall says thanks.
  3. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ping is blocked by the Windows firewall usually, 7 this may have been taken out of the firewall by default not sure. But basically check that sharing is enabled as suggested. On my win7 laptop here i have for sharing settings:

Turn on network discovery
    Turn on file and print sharing
    Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders

Sharing permissions can still say read or read/write access to folders. so dont worry so much on security there.
    Thrall says thanks.
  4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I believe you first have enable it to be shared then you have to do a secure log in so a user name and password will need to be set up..... I do what you are doing and what I did is enable the sharing and then created a user account for the user name and password to sign into the shared drive then I log into it using the laptop.:toast:
    Thrall says thanks.
  5. Thrall New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try it out--thanks everyone!