1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Paulieg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought I should post something here. I'd like to give thanks to a great man who did phenomenal work. I wish he had lived long enough to see just how much he did for the civil rights movement. :respect:

Exavier, ShadowFold, KainXS and 2 others say thanks.
  2. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    He truly was a great man, and really helped the Civil Right Movement in many ways. And i to wish he was still alive(he would have been about 80yrs old).

3. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I thought that the Presidential Inaguration should have been today. It would have been fitting.

4. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed Paulie! I can honestly say as an American I am proud that our country has finally turned a very big corner by electing Obama. It's nice to know that enough Americans can now overlook skin color and look instead at the character of the individual instead.

Just as Martin Luther King had dreamed and envisioned. :toast:

5. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully Obama will lead with half of the character and conviction that defined King.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  6. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully he will indeed. Today is an unbelievably historic day in American history. :rockout:

7. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    My wife is descended from the King family. Martin was her great uncle (right term?). Her Grandfather was Martin's brother...lol.

Half of my family fought for the confederate army in the Civil war. So our kids represent the future of America: 50% redneck, 50% black activist :D

Barack is a big hero to my son (he's 5) and I think this whole time has the feeling of National Destiny.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm 25% Irish, 25% Scott, 25% German, 25% Checkoslovacian. 100% Da shit!

9. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey -- regardless of all the good he did and said, MLK apparently cheated on his wife and on his dissertation. Obama's already a much, much better person. :D

10. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spent my holiday hung over watching Maury's "who's my baby's daddy" bit. THE DNA WILL MAKE YOU PAY!

11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I have very mixed feelings about Martin Luther King Jr. (which is not his real name by the way).

On the one hand, he was a strong figure that propelled the civil rights movement.
    On the other hand, he was a plagerist, a communist, a liar, an adultress, a womanizer, he was deifnatley not Christian.

A lot of other incriminating evidence is sealed away in a vault, by law, by his wife, until a date after she would be dead of old age. This isn't coincidence. The information that we will find will just destroy his name even more, or at least it should, but like all other negative things about King Jr., they get swept under the rug because of what he symbolized, rather than who he was.

So then the question becomes, if someone IS something negative, but DOES something positive, -the ends justify the means-, do we still honor that person? Can we do so with a guilt-free conscience?

As said before, his propulsion of the civil rights movement is what should be remembered, but to the lengths that people 'respect' and 'honor' King Jr. is inappropriate, because he's not the man everyone wishes he was.

It's further more disturbing, that forefathers such as Washington or Jackson, who were honored with holidays, were 'bumped' and essentially placed on a lower pedastal than King Jr.
    And to me that represents 100% American ignorance that's grown exponentially since the 60s.

Despite what we think of King Jr. and despite his contradictions, I imagine he's turning in his grave at the thought of what black people have done to the civil rights movement. Where once it was about equality and peace, it's now about reprimands, hand-outs, guilt-trips, social identity and has allowed con-artists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, to place themselves on pedalstals as 'leaders' of the black 'community.' Surely that's a slap in the face. Since when did black people need a leader? They are American, they have only one leader(mortal that is). The whole point of the civil rights movement was so that black people had no leaders, no masters per se.

I would be fine with a civil rights movement day, a day to commerorate the unfolding events, whether inspired directly or indirectly by King Jr. but a day for such a man as him is pretty abhorring.

I am glad that Martin King Jr. day and Obama's inaguration were on separate days, because one is about a hopeful movement forward for a broken country, and the other is about the shrouded and murky past of that same broken country. The two do not mix well together.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a well thought out post. Nicely done. :toast:

13. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, not sure what to think of this. Couldn't many of these same characteristics and behaviors be attributed to many "great" men, including JFK? I would say most certainly yes. It has been demonstrated that you can be "great" at what you do without being the poster boy for morality. I have heard rumors of adultery, but I've never heard anything about the plagurism and communism stuff. Do you have any credible links to factual information on this? Not a christian? Links please. I find the Christian comment sort of odd too. Even if there is a hint of truth to this, try and remember, many of our founding fathers were not christians. They were in fact Free Masons.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  14. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You look deep enough into anyone's past you will find they, are after all, not perfect. We only can catch small glimpses of public figures characters and we are left to then fill in the blanks. It is not unreasonable to me to keep figures like MLK and Lincoln and such in a state of personal reverence, to imagine them as righteous folk who stood for the potential of humanity's greatness. Under the microscope this image would inevitably crumble under humanity's failures, but you gotta give em hope, you gotta give em hope.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  15. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Checkoslovacian ... Its Czechoslovakia...

And now its Czech Republic... My Home town cracka!

Kurva's...

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Any man who brings a message of love and equality will always have a place in my heart. God bless Martin Luther King Jr. and all that he has done to make the world a better place.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. I could not find the correct spelling. What would you call someone from there? Czech? Anyway my grandfather was from Prague. However he was in Berlin during the 30's and married a German teacher (my Grandmother). Needless to say the Nazis didn't like the thought of a German breeding with a non-German so they had to flee. Of course some of my family on that side wasn't so lucky. Most of them ended up on trains to "nowhere" and they were not even Jewish.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  18. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol I was just playin yo

Yea Czech or people still go with Czechoslovakian. I'm from Czech so yea.. Technically I was born in Czechoslovakia, Prague, until 94 when they separated... Prefer Czech

Sorry, back to topic..

Great man, deserve this day to be a special day considering of how much he has done before he got assassinated.. /salute

19. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Obama is as much black as he is white, I hate referring to him as an African-American.

There's no such thing.

There are Americans and not-Americans, we should have nothing but.

Who cares if King was a plagiarist, liar, womanizer, and not a Christian? That's 99% of TPU, except maybe the Christian part and womanizer part... But if this were a forum for average people... that'd be 99% of us. We all like vag, we're all lazy and copied papers in grade school, we've all lied, and a good portion of America is not Christian.

However, none of that changes the fact we are human, flawed, and no matter what religion, have the capacity to bring love, progress, and hope to the world around us.

20. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    in regards to Martin Luther King day . . .

I still slip and accidentally call it "Lee, Jackson, King day" . . . others from VA know what I mean . . .

always thought that was strange, and conflictive in nature . . .

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Careful boy. Your roots are showing. :laugh: FYI you don't have to be from VA for that one.

22. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it.

23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

Most here know I'm a redneck - but if you're implying something else, you'd be sorely mistaken.

Asides, how many other states celebrated that day as such? None, that I'm aware of.

They should all be honored seperately, IMO . . .

although, I can't believe, now, that there are large organizations trying to snuff out Virginia's Lee-Jackson Day :shadedshu

24. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now, aside from what I said, MLK was not a communist -- he was "investigated" by the FBI for that, but then so was pretty much everyone else from the years of 1955-1975. Doesn't mean a darn bit of it was true.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya know what? I misread what you said. I thought you said "James Earl Ray Day" for some reason. The rednecks call MLK day that where I'm from. Thats why I said "your roots are showing". Sorry about that. :toast:

Before everyone get tier pitch forks out please note I DO NOT call MLK day that. Honestly I don't call it anything but a day with light traffic.