1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by logan, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked it up on Steam because it was on sale, and I played for maybe an hour or two. I can't figure out how people love this game so much.

Does it turn out to be anything more than a conversation simulator? I want to run around and do stuff, not sit in an air plane and talk to people. I can do that IRL.

Is this game worth reinstalling? Does it get to a point at which you can actually play? I got to a part where you rescue an alien guy, and then it put me on a plane and I uninstalled the game for being so gay.

2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    eh.. high quality game. not all games are built for everyone. ME series is story-driven. The gameplay is good when you get down to it.. FPS RPG. I dont understand the point of making a whole thread just because you dont like a game, though. Only trolls do that.

3. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    i wanted to know if the game changed at all from what i have so far experienced, to know whether it's worth re-downloading, and i needed to describe the parts i don't like so people know what exactly it is that i am looking for.

without this information, an answer to my Q wouldn't be possible.

so, the gameplay is good when you get down to it - does more gameplay come in, or is a lot of the game spent talking to NPCs in a plane?

4. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i would say 10% of gameplay involves you talking to one person or another

logan says thanks.
  5. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    So it's a lot heavier on the conversation in the beginning of the game? I was stuck talking to the leader guy of the faction you're working with.

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i would say more than that.
    still, not too much. there is definitely a lot of gamelplay.

@OP - it's a bioware RPG - do you know of any?
    Dragon Age? KotOR? what about baldurs gate and icewind dale?

point is, it is a specific type of game, that has a lot of talking. if you didn't want that, you should have found out what it was before buying it!

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the point of that stuff is so that you can say what you did in the first game, since you obviously didnt have a save game to import.

its so story driven it has to repeat what happened/let you say what happened (with no save game) otherwise it would make no sense at all.

logan says thanks.
  8. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    i haven't played any of those - i said i got it because i heard it was good and it was on sale. :rolleyes:

ok, cool. thanks. :)

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    There is a lot of talking, a lot more than 10%. I actually liked the conversation though, I don't think you could say a lot of the things you do in the game in life- at least not without getting hit/slapped :laugh:

logan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I was quite dissapointed by mass effect 2 at the start and just like you I found it quite boring. Then I got about half way through and it just blew me away the pace really picked up and the story just got so engrossing it really does deserve the game of the year award.

logan says thanks.
  11. left4lol New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have too play the first one if you want to even understand the storyline of the second game.
    So it is not surprising that you didn't like it, Mass effect 2 gameplay is actually pretty boring and only worth it because of the story.

12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    on my first playthrough, i was on citadel station (and the stuff leading to it) for the first 3 hours of the game.

On my most recent one (third) it took me less than 30 minutes to get everything done and be outta there, actually playing the game.

I think the game design expected us to get it done quicker than some of us actually did, the first time around so it gets boring fleshing out the story.

13. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's the story. you have to become involved, absorbed by it. then you will see why everyone loves it ;)

14. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Definitely the conversation is part of it.
    What catches me about Mass Effect 2 is the biotics in combat.

15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i hear railworks was good - and it was on sale 2 weeks ago.
    but i read about it, found out what type of game it was - and decided it wasn't for me.

what's with the :rolleyes: ?

16. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes: because not everyone knows stuff about video games. i asked a question about a game, not a question about the process of deciding what game to buy. :)

thanks for the info, guys! :D

17. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    As has been mentioned by other posters, Mass Effect is a Bioware RPG.

This means a lot of things to many people but to me, Bioware RPG is synonymous with lame arsed faggy endless conversation and watery turn based (or not) combat action with a very limited opportunity for immersive world exploration.

I really cannot fathom why Mass Effect and its equally faggy siblings (dragon age, KOTR etc) are considered such fantastic games. To my tastes, they are just pure and utter shite! Ever since having played Gothic 1 + 2, I have been convinced that I am an RPG fan, so I have spent hours of my spare time sitting down and playing all the non-Pirhana Bytes RPG's and found them all (The Witcher excepted) to be massive über-bore dissapointments. Mass Effect (2) is no exception to that rule.

I have played about 25 hours into the game and the pace of the game remains constant. Loads of conversation amongst faggy characters, crappy immature brain-dead storyline, and then some gameplay missions, all of which are lumbered by same repetative and crappy gameplay mechanics (never changes), and then with a pile of boring chores to complete in between all that. So to answer your question, stop hitting your head against a brick wall. I know you have spent money on the game and the whole world is telling you that the game is amazing.......but if you are struggling to get entertainment value from it and find it a real chore to play....then best leave it out.

Of all the RPG's out there (and I have tried a lot), the only ones I can wholeheartedly recommend are:

Gothic 1 + 2 (both very old by now)
    Risen

These games combine arcade and RPG elements in vast totally free roaming world's packed with beasts, hidden secrets, and a great deal of artistic beauty. There is also lot's of convo but unlike with the lame Bioware brigade, none of it makes you want to puke your guts up and/or puts you into a near comatose state.

claylomax says thanks.
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    MatTheCat: obviously you have faggy tastes in RPG's, and dont seem to know what an RPG actually is.

19. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Sorry dude but I would call you an idiot,if I could...for your post...Im also a big fan of Gothic,but saying about all the games you've mentioned that they are a pile of shit just makes you an....

20. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    The moment he mentioned that ME2 sucked I knew he was trolling. No need to provoke the troll :p

21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    To the OP your not alone...

I was desperately looking for a good RPG, so I got Mass Effect 1 and couldn't finish it.

Then I got Mass Effect 2 cause people said good things about it and couldn't finish it either (although was more entertained with 2 than 1)

In the end Bioware RPGs just aren't for me as I take it they aren't for you. I couldn't even get into Dragon Age.

Now I don't mean to imply ME 1, 2 and DA aren't good games, only that even the best of games fail to appeal to 100% of its Audience (RPG Players).

I don't thinks its safe for anyone to declare one RPG better than another but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and for that the OP shouldn't be called a troll. He is just merely stating his opinion and no one should feel offended by it.

22. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    By calling a bunch of critically acclaimed games a pile of shit??..allright you are right then..

23. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    WAIT A MOMENT. You bought it cause you heard it was good (which IT IS) and it was on sale. Please tell me you played the first one :eek:

24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I was talking about the OP. Who are you talking about?

25. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    sorry my mistake,I apologise.