1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by logan, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look guys, it is like this.

Bioware games are heavily story/dialogue based and the story writers for these RPG's seem to be off the failed/never quite made it as a crappy American braindead fantasy TV drama writer, variety.

Now if you happen to genuinely think that Xena Warrior Princess, Babylon 5, Star Wank, and all the other mind-numbing (generally American) TV fantasy drama's are great entertainment, then chances are that you will enjoy Bioware RPG's. If you are like me on the otherhand and demand a bit of style/maturity/intelligence in the 'stories' that you watch, read, or play, then you will fkn hate Bioware RPG's.

I fkn hate Bioware RPG's. And so do lots of other people....by the looks of things.

I mentioned:

Mass Effect (both of em) = b.p.o.s.
    KNoTR = b.p.o.s.
    Dragon Age = b.p.o.s.

All of the above are Bioware games......see the recurring theme here?

But for the record:

Fallout 3 = b.p.o.s.
    Oblivion = b.p.o.s.

I also mentioned the Witcher, which was essentially a really good game with an intelligent, clever, and compelling story line...but for me, the performance issues/bugs were too much and I couldn't be arsed to complete it.

But apart from the Witcher, only Gothic (1+2) and Risen counts as good (modern) RPG's. If there are more then I would like to hear what they are as these games count amongst my best gaming experiences to date and would really love to play something of a similar style and quality.
    left4lol says thanks.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so basically, you hate pretty much every popular RPG, but refuse to admit you're the minority.

You have to be correct in all your reasons and assumptions so rather than think you (and a few others) are the odd ones out, you have to resort to insulting the games and those who play them?

grow up. get some self esteem.
    yogurt_21 and digibucc say thanks.
  3. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that 95% of the really big Hollywood blockbuster films are b.p's.o.s. Just cos these films are loved in the mainstream, does that make them good films? Or is there a lot of not so intelligent people out there that can be entertained by any old lowest common denominator trash?

The O.P. was looking for affirmation to his suspicion that ME(2) was in fact a really crap game. I can relate to this as I have forced myself to try and like this game (and many others) on the grounds that it must be a great game cos everyone and all the media sez its a great game. But the bottom line is, if someone finds the game a chore to play, if the story fails to interest them, and if all the characters just piss them off, then to that person, Mass Effect is a crappy game (and so are all ther ones similar to it).

Consider that sometimes, the minority are in the right.
  4. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I love ME2 and ME1 and yeah I like B5 and Star Trek and all of those other Glorious SciFi genre shows and movies....ME2 does take some time to get going From there the choices you make determines how the game goes so you can actually play it again and see things happen in other ways.
    When it comes to combat YOUR in charge so you make the calls or you can just watch your team but it's a lot more fun to take charge...if your bored try a harder level
    Red_Machine says thanks.
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    No one is right no one is wrong, you either like a game for a certain set of reasons or you hate a game for a certain set of reasons.

Its like religion you can't claim one religion as being the Best or as being the right religion no matter how many or few believe that religion to be the best and true.

In America buddy, this is how we roll.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Different strokes for different folks...
  7. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I think that's just faggy! :wtf:
  8. left4lol New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you talking about the original Witcher, Just update it to Enhanced Edition. It should address all the performance issues/bugs.
  9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just say it. You like Final Fantasy (JRPG). We will not cock at you.
    Crusader says thanks.
  10. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    to each his own I tell ye :D. A good sign that your alive and human
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    You see your view is not superior or inferior to anyone else's because entertainment is subjective. If you think some thing is shit then I can guarentee you there is someone who thinks everything you appreciate is shit. To say because a lot of people like it, it must be shit or they must idiots is very narrow minded. Why should you be the measure of something's success based on your preferences and not everyone elses ?

Something to mull over when you say a wildly success franchise is shit.
  12. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know I am not going to win a popularity contest by saying these things......but:

When I was 12 years old. I loved all the bullshit that came out of Hollywood and/or half of the American nonsense that we get on TV.

Now I hate it. All of it.

What has changed is that my mind has matured, my tastes have become more sophisticated, and i have developed a low tolerance threshold for trash media/entertainment.

Had I played Mass Effect when I was still in my early-mid teens, I would have no doubt have been totally spell bound by it. But now, my intelligence rejects it (the storyline, character interactions), and the arcade gameplay isn't that strong either.

Like said, Mass Effect = b.p.o.s. and I am not the only one who thinks this.
  13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The talking fleshes out the storyline plus the choices are a big part of the games system, in the first one people can die or not if you choose certain conversations points.

Its nothing to do with it being "Hollywood" mass produced shite if you wanted that go play COD or something like Star Wars:The Force Unleashed II because thats what those are. If Mass Effect and games like Oblivion are shit then wtf do you consider great?

Jade Empire another classy Bioware effort :cool

EDIT: PEOPLE are fickle and that's why we have programs on tv like the x factor or pop idol for the Americans. You can be hoytie toytie about things or just accept like i did not everyone has brilliant taste. I can also recognise that something may not be shit just because im not interested in it for example i dislike darts but that doesn't mean darts are shit right? Although things can still be shite like for example someone might like TWO WORLDS but its still a terrible game because its extremely flawed.
  14. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    you do realize, that talking about your maturity and sophistication only helps to
    solidify the opinion that you are a childish little brat?

kinda like, cool means not worrying about being cool?

the fact that you put so much stock in your maturity just says you are still not quite
    there yet. I'm happy that you recognize what happens as time passes - just know
    another 10 years you'll look at this stupid little argument you started and say:

what was i thinking, i was being such a little kid then!

you are trying so hard to not like the game, that you don't realize you argument is
    entirely subjective and baseless. you are caught up in a fervor and are ignoring
    the fact that nobody cares what you thought of the game, or bioware for that fact.

you can shout to the greek gods how bioware makes horrible games. you will still
    just be spouting an opinion, and a poorly constructed one at that.
  15. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm kind of on the same level as the OP, I played through 2-4 hours of ME1 and 2 and just could'nt bring myself to continue playing, it was so dialogue driven.

the short bursts of combat gameplay were awesome and all, but for long periods it just felt like I'd talk to someone, and they'd tell me to talk to someone else, and so on and so forth for too long.

having said that I've never been a huge fan of RPG's, I just wanted to try it becuase I have several mates who love both games to bits.

I guess it's just not for me, I'll stick to Shooters and Racing games :D
  16. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, this kind of games are like an "Interactive Visual Novel".

If you like to read books, you'll probably like these kind of games. I actually enjoy reading all the texts in ME.
  17. yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I believe the OP has his answer and now this thread seems to be successfully trolled. IMHO it's time to shut it down. This wasn't about some random dudes hatred for bioware and mainstream sci-fi it was about how much dialogue me2 has.

and yeah the ME games do have alot of dialogue compared to most shooters, that's just teh way they are. like it play don't like it, don't play. easy.
  18. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you played the first game, you'll be dying to play and finish the 2nd game. Atleast that's how i was when i got the game. The story is just in a whole other level. Once you start playing, you'll find it hard to stop. To be honest Mass Effect was like one of the only RPGs i've played. I didn't even bother with it till one of my friends got it and he told me it was awesome. So like you when i started playing the game, i was having huge hopes for some crazy action game. And i did get a little bored right at the start. But after sometime, i was just pulled into the story. And i played like four hours straight :p (And i RARELY play that long.) I suggest you play the 1st one if you haven't played the 2nd one. :)
  19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    which is the PERFECT attitude, and one we all (should) hold in regards to things that
    don't meet our fancy.

contrast that with the matt's position:

that's very much what it was about, since the OP. it was quite obvious the entire thread was made so logan and then
    Mat could rant about having made a bad purchasing decision - and then get angry at everyone who recognizes this. it was
    entirelyabout some random dude getting upset because he wasn't smart enough to read before buying.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Mussels and wolf say thanks.
  20. yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    umm he's not the OP, he's just a troll that showed up and has not been banned for trolling for some reason unbeknownst to me.
    digibucc says thanks.
  21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah - sry. logan was the OP, however my assessment still stands i think.

mat the cat just picked up the baton and ran to the line for logan, they both had ignorant arguments.

thanks for the correction though :)
  22. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

matthecat... really?
  23. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok.

The Bioware engine has HUGE potential for making great story driven games. But if someone hates or is just bored to death by the story telling that the devs put into the games, then what is there left?

When I play Gothic/Risen I find myself caring much more about much more simple characters and the unfolding of a much more basic story than is present in the Bioware titles.

Mass Effect failed to make me care because the story telling and the characterisation is gay. The Witcher on the otherhand is equally dialogue and story driven, but cos the story in that is brilliant, the game is brilliant...(short of unforgiveable performance issues).

Oh noes...here comes the forum insects.
  24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that right there epitomizes why you have no argument.

you are trying to prove Mass Effect is a bad game. which again, is confusing
    objective belief with subjective - but we'll move past that for a moment.

you have yet to use descriptive words to explain your problems.

you say "it's gay" "it sucks", and then try to call yourself mature and sophisticated.

what's funny to me, is that you don't recognize how ignorant you are being!
    you think you are actually making a coherent argument, don't you? do you
    think you are actually coming across as mature? seriously, do you?
    wolf says thanks.
  25. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    look MatTheCat,

Some people like Chocolate Ice Cream some people like Vanilla Ice Cream.

Not one person on this Earth can Claim Vanilla Ice Cream is worse than Chocolate or vice versa. You just need to understand that different people enjoy different things.

The sooner you understand this concept the sooner you will become a better human being.

I hope you find it in your mind to understand this as I know you can.
    wolf says thanks.