• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mass Effect or The Witcher Enhanced Edition

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
depends, i havent played witcher but mass effect is "La Fisura" for me. I mean, i have finished it like three times and i dont get bored and the other i love are the sex scenes :D:D:D:D:D:D

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
Both are great imo. Mass Effect was my favorite, solid gameplay w/ a very well-woven story. It can get a tad repetitive though, and for its scope can sometimes feel rather empty, but it can involve you well and offer a decent challenge if you crank up the difficulty. The Witcher had some very intriguing pieces to it (certain story elements, certain gameplay mechanics, I found myself enjoying the side stuff more than the main event), but as a whole doesn't quite offer the sum of those pieces.

Both are somewhat buggy sometimes but nothing crippling in my experience, I was able to play both easily w/ my system, and that's w/o the enhanced version of the Witcher. Both are also somewhat linear w/o a big game-world to explore, they are mostly story-driven and the stories are really the main reason to go for both. And I believe both begin trilogys (I'm hoping Mass Effect can continue w/ the same character, seeing as you can replay the game after beating it w/ all your equipment, plus decisions are critical to the outcome). I'd say if you must pick one go for Mass Effect, but I think they both deserve a play through.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Second, I hate the combat modes. I have never been one to enjoy having to perfectly time my attacks just to win a battle.

this is also the reason why i hated the witcher.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Witcher has plenty of needless running around. The original version (unlocked scenes, blood, dialogue, etc.) is all in some other language. Never could get the English patch to work. The combat timings are not difficult, they're on the border of easy, but just far enough away to be irritating about it. You can almost combo in your sleep, but miss a step and someone will put a sword in your face.

Playing as a character that doesn't remember a damn thing is a horrible cliche that's been beaten to death for the past umpteen years. You're a badass when you start, but you forget how to be a badass and have to figure it out all over again. In the meantime you have your badass rivals that wouldn't mind killing you twice and giving you a skull-job afterwards.

Magic is kinda lame, off-weapons (anything besides the sword) are under-powered, character customization is absent, and the pretend leveling scheme leaves much to be desired. It's very much reminiscent of the FFX style, but without the depth.

I enjoyed about 10 hours of the game. Then I hit the wall and put it down.

System Name StarCruiser Dark Knight v.2
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
Motherboard P8Z77-V LX
Cooling 1x custom W/C loop/ inflow:6x120 /outflow:4x120, 2x200
Memory Viper 3 Black Mamba (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor LCS 5870
Storage 1X 128GB OCZ, 2 x 1.500 Gb Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 24" LC24F396
Case custom MDF case (I BUILT IT) check sig.....NOW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Tagan 900 watt
Software Win 7 RC / Open office / Games
I liked The Witcher:), but I lived MassEffect:rockout: for one reason! Its the BEST SCI-FI RPG I 've ever had the pleasure of playing!

btw If you like action-RPGs aswell, then you could try Rise of the Argonauts:rockout:

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
I liked The Witcher:), but I lived MassEffect:rockout: for one reason! Its the BEST SCI-FI RPG I 've ever had the pleasure of playing!

btw If you like action-RPGs aswell, then you could try Rise of the Argonauts:rockout:

+ infinite to that

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
If i had to say which was a better game..
Hands down, no question what so ever, in any way, shape, or form..
Mass effect is better..

Witcher is tons of fun though. and is definitely worth getting.. no question..
witcher is like an 8.5..
Mass effect is like a 9.5..

If your not using an 8800 gt or 8800gtx you likely won't even have the problems i am though.
and if you do.. use the driver 175.16 or 175.19 whichever works best for you on XP.
IDK vista drivers but there is a mass effect forum.. np to google it..

It's just gorgeous.. and emerging..
Top of the line RPG with voice overs by Seth Green and the Black guy from Ghost busters..
sorry idk his name.. but he's a great actor anyway.
I'm sure there's more in there I'm unaware of.

It's a very deep game..
Even though it crashes me constantly I keep going back lol..
It's just that good..

redwings0921

System Name Redwings System
Processor Intel Q6600
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
Cooling Lots of Fan (Getting WC soon!)
Memory Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
Video Card(s) EVGA 9600GT w/ stock fan
Storage WD Caviar 1TB
Display(s) Acer 19 inch LCD
Case Smilidon
Audio Device(s) Compusa PCI 7.1 Card
Power Supply Rosewill 550 watt(new one in the mail)
Software Vista Home Premium x32
i got the witcher for free a few days after it came out and i thought it was a complete to disgrace to todays video/computer game standards

Deusxmachina

I finished The Witcher the other day, and some nitpicking aside, holy crap, that was enjoyable. It's been quite awhile since I've played a 30-60 hour game and upon finishing it immediately considered starting over at the beginning again.

I regret not paying more attention to my Signs other than Igni, or using alchemy more. I started using them a bit more towards the end and wished I had done so sooner. Not just for power, but because it's fun. If anyone is new to The Witcher, I recommend reading a how-to on how all the Signs work and look for example videos on youtube. I played a long time before realizing I could throw a freakin' fireball(!).

As for it vs. Mass Effect, eh, they're both games of the year depending on what publication you read.

Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
Motherboard ASUSTeK - P5N-E - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - ATX
Cooling TRUE with Xilence Red Wing 120mm fan
Memory OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3870 XT 512MB Arctic Cooling Acellero S1 Rev. 2
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA II 7200rpm 32MB Cache
Display(s) HANNS-G HU196D 19"
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
Power Supply 550W PSU
Software Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Benchmark Scores 10713 3DMark06 - No overclocking on anything
The Witcher.

Didn't like Mass Effect at all. I can't quite put my finger on why though .... because I don't have enough fingers. I can't think of anything I liked about it. But then, it's personal preference, and I'm sure some people loved it!

Deusxmachina

Played Mass Effect. Well, tried to. When I first got into some fights in The Witcher, coming off two or three FPSs, I thought combat was kind of goofy, but it was different and it grew on me and turned out to be a lot of fun. Mass Effect is like a third-person shooter, but one I don't find much fun. It's ok, but, just, eh. For comparison, a third-person shooter I had lots of fun with is Lost Planet.

I thought the story would suck me in, but there's just so much dialogue and cutscenes and it gets watered down. Wasn't sure if I was playing a video game or reading a novel. The giant walls of text were just too much.

Does choosing different dialogues do much of anything? In The Witcher, for instance, if you choose early on to let a group of "nice" outcasts steal some supplies and weapons from the people who are supposedly mean to them, later in the game they use those weapons to kill innocents. So the blame is a bit on you. (just one example.) I don't know if your dialogue choices in ME have that kind of effect or not. I was getting the "feeling" not a whole lot you say really matters.

Since the story is supposedly so good, but I was forcing myself to play, I wound up watching someone else's full playthrough video of it. Well, tried to. Still too much dialogue. You walk up to a stranger and they babble off their entire life story. And the SUV scenes looked harder to pilot than that damn hover plane thing in Crysis.

Other people like it. Wasn't for me. So far, the first hour or two of Fallout 3 has been far more entertaining. But, only played the first hour or two.