1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Matrox M-Series cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by benn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. benn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

I think of buying a Matrox M1920 for my audio workstation.
    Does anyone know if the Matrox M-Series cards are capable of hardware high-definition video acceleration?
    I'd like to play some 1080p H.264/MPEG-4 AVC encoded videos. CPU is an Intel L3426.

Regards.
  2. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean M9120? Doesn't say it does hardware HD video, so I think it doesn't.

I'm guessing you need a fan-less (noiseless) card for an audio workstation, I think maybe an ATI HD5450 based card would fit (e.g. this Asus one). That has ATI's "Unified Video Decoder 2" technology, and recent drivers even allow for DivX video decoding in hardware, alongside Blu-ray and MPEG2.
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    this thread just confuses me period, why would anyone want a matrox card? aren't they inferior in everyway compared to a card from AMD/nvidia?
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    He's not gaming. They may be superior in other ways we would never use our cards for.
  6. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    multimonitor support and passive cooling was pretty much the last vestiage of advantage that Matrox had, ATI has closed that gap. With the proper PC case most any low end card will be sufficiently quiet for a mix station. Now if its a tracking room, I'd advise moving the pc to a area where any noise it may make, will not be heard, a ISO closet etc.