1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

mATX case advise!

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Mussels, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically guys, i'm upgrading my media PC into something a little more compact.

I've already got a few mobos chosen out in AM2 and 775 (i would like all my hardware to be the same socket, so leaning 775)

Egg links to mobos, because they have better info/pics than the aussie stores i'd be buying from.

Gigabyte board
    EVGA board

Now heres comes the hard part... i want a REALLY small system. Both these boards have HDMI out and optical audio out, so i dont need any add on cards - i'll have one 500GB hard drive, one DVD drive, and thats it.

So far, the only case i can find is the antec Minuet 350

I would really like some suggestions for matx cases, particularly half height ones with included PSU's. I'm pondering a half height 9600GT so please keep that in mind.

2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    The minuet is a good case, but that one-of-a-kind PSU could be an issue. Plus 350w may or may not work with the 9600gt. If you are looking for an HTPC case, look at the antec nsk2480...but word of warning that it is a tad long that most cabinets. My personal fav matx case has to be the antec mini p180, but that's a mini tower.

3. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
  4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yeah the one of a kind PSU is whats off putting on the minuet.
    NSK2480 is full height, but i did look at it.
    full tower cases are out, i want something slim that can sit on the desk next to my TV, without being in the way. Oh i should mention BLACK is good. It'll blend in better.

On the 9600GT - that 400W is probably for generic PSU's in an average system, i'm pretty sure an antec PSU + a low wattage/undervolted CPU would be ok with it. Video card is on the long term list, but short term it would definately be using the onboard video.

edit:
    SilverStone SG02-F Black SFF Case - its cheap and seems to fit the requirements. Its full height, but takes standard PSU's.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the TT has windows and LED's, exactly the opposite of a stealth media PC. Thanks for the suggestion however.

Theres quite a few silverstones there - any suggestions as to which ones i should focus on?

6. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have some personal expierence with this one.
    http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=lc10&area=usa

It holds a full size power supply as well as a full size atx board. Very good build quality, however this is probably a bit bigger than you are looking for.

I would give this one a shot.
    http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=lc04&area=usa

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    user reviews on the LC04 mention overheating issues, even with onboard video.

the LC10M comes with a remote, i already have a universal remote hooked up to my USB receiver. its also huge :S

i also realised i spelled advice wrong, damned Firefox spellcheck.

8. FooArm

FooArm New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    I can see why you like it, it appears to have great cooling and good looks.
    Its got too much bling for what i want, i'm after something that blends in.
    Good suggestion, its definitely an option if i cant find something more stealthy.