1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Max Recommended Voltage?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Azn Tr14dZ, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's a chance that my Geil Ultra Platinum might be Winbond UTT CH-5, which I heard needs more voltage (around 3.0-3.2v) to run at 200Mhz, but when being overclocked needs less than Windbond UTT BH-5...my question is, what is the max recommended voltage without active cooling?
    Here is my memory:
    http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=18

Should I get something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119011

It might be the reason why I can only get to 206Mhz @ 2.7v on my DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D...

2. Lekamies New Member

Thanks Received:
    From TechPowerUp Memory database.
    I think 3.2 without active cooling is safe for sure.

I run my bh-5 chips 3.4v without active cooling 24/7, but I have quite good case cooling.

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I'm lost here - you're memory says it's DDR400 (that's stock 200Mhz) - at less than 3.0v. Are you saying you can't get it over DDR400 speeds, even above 3.0v???

As far as max voltage, GeIL loves to be "volted", but if you are going to push it over thier max of 2.95v (as listed), airflow would be reccommended, also using a finger to feel how hot it is getting when you're taking it to limit.

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm saying that at 2.7v, the max overclock I can get is 206Mhz (DDR 412)..I haven't really tried anything above 2.8v, so I made this thread...but since 3.2v might be ok without active cooling(my case cooling is pretty good) then I might try it out...

Is the cooler I showed earlier good?

5. Aegis New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Crab is absolutely worthless. Those 40mm fans move little to no air, and from the reviews I've seen, did not help lower the temperature or increase overclocking potential.

6. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    had some of these chips i think on my VX.

they need 2.8-3.0v min at ddr400. i think.

more volts = more mhz, max id go without cooling 3.0v.

@ 3.4-3.5v these things should excell.

mine did 245mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 3.4v until they died :cry: <-lack of cooling:shadedshu

:toast:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thought so...the GeIL Ultra Plat. either comes with Mosel Vitelic 5ns or Winbond CH-5, and I'm seeming to need a lot of voltage, so I have CH-5...do you know of a good cooler for memory?

8. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was using an 80mm fan that i hijacked from a psu, held in place with zip ties :slap:

i would use a larger fan or some QUALITY 40-50mm fans placed directly on the ram.

i think supertalent? or something like that make a product which mounts onto the ram.

9. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you show me a pic how you mounted it?

10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Ram Voltage Question!!!

Guys, see my subject-line/title above, & answer me this question if possible (& it sounds as if you guys are talking memory voltages):

I use Corsair Matched Pair sticks, 2x256mb, & do overclock my system... & the ONLY thing I left "auto" was the RAM memory voltages!

How far can I go on this type of memory on voltages set manually?

(It's your "basic run-of-the-mill" stuff, DDR-400 memory)

:)

* Thanks for info.!

APK

P.S.=> Oh, another question:

Typically, what does "AUTO" do, voltage-wise, when you have overclocked everything already via FSB uppings, & CPU voltage uppings, & mhz of RAM increased?

(197/200mhz rated used here now w/ CPU overclocks noted below)

Does "AUTO" just automatically increment voltages if needed, or just go default rate??

... Thanks! apk

11. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Auto probably leaves it at default settings, in my case it would be 2.6v, you won't be able to overclock your memory much with default voltage.

12. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I find out what the stock voltage for the kind I use is?

Again: Typical DDR-400, Corsair "matched pair" 2x256mb sticks...

* I could use that info., because I suspect as YOU do, "AUTO" just uses default memory voltage, & if I can "hop that up some", like you can on the CPU?

Heck - I can get MORE than the o/c in my sig!

(Since I am literally, using "AUTO" in my BIOS for my memory voltages)

APK

13. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ azn - sorry no pics. I just pointed it at the ram and zip tied it to some cables that were hanging from the psu :shadedshu

@ alec - leaving it set at auto will run the mem at default volts which is probably 2.6v? 2.8v would probably be about max volts. Check out the ram section over @ xtremesystems it could help you determine what ic's youre using and could also help you in picking your next ram.

:toast:

14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I was getting errors with corsair value ram at overvolt, and it wasn't hot!!!! But my current RAM only needs 2.5 to run 2.2.2.5 @ 200Mhz but I run it 2.85 so I can run it up to 220's with no errors and the same timings.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    So was I, & yes, I gave it a shot @ manually tampering w/ my DDR Ram voltage, taking it away from AUTO...

2.6v is what it is rated @ iirc, & I tried 2.7v & 2.65v, not worth it - folded up on a ScienceMark 2.0 testbed run...

Now, that's the kind of RAM I need... what type is it? DDR-400 improvement I am assuming... lay it on me!

* That's been the "bane" of my overclocking (though I've done well imo @ least)... my memory being stock/oem DDR-400 for the most part!

APK