1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(Maybe) major problem with HDD...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by new_rez, Jun 23, 2008.

1. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically my girlfirends pc was being slow and not working properly. I spent ages getting all her data off it, got the windows install disk and got ready to format. Only problem is that the HDD wont actually format... I cant remember how many times i have formatted PC's and this is the first time its not working haha.

For some reason it will freeze on 6% on a normal format, but will go all the way on a quick format. Could the be down to bad sectors? Should I run chkdisk in the repair console?

Another problem is that the HDD is 80gb and its only showing 60... Should I just bin it and buy a new one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Harry

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    try checking for bad sectors in consol...than use soething like deriks boot and nuke...that will kill the hdd. and you can start fresh.

new_rez says thanks.
  3. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill give it a try and report back! cheers

4. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    np dude hope it helps :)

remember in consol off of the disk to scan for bad sectors type this

chkdsk /r

new_rez says thanks.
  5. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried chkdsk /p and it froze at 51%. Maybe i was impatient and it wasn't frozen, but it was stuck on 51% for about 10mins :S

6. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    lol ooooo ya it will take a SERIOUSLY long time like a few hours long time

new_rez says thanks.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    DONT try to salvage an old crappy HDD. I used to try those. Problem is... you spend ages in the process, and then have a very high probability of secondary failure and data loss. Not worth it IMO. Chuck it out and buy a cheap modern drive. It will be a lot faster too.

(Basically let the warranty period decide for you. If it is still in warranty, send it back. If it is out of warranty, chuck it out and start fresh. I lost so much work trusting a "refurbished" drive. Dont do it)

new_rez says thanks.
  8. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking about getting her a new hdd, shhouldnt be to much either as it's a laptop.
    It would suck if it failed. I spent hours xcopying all her stuff off it onto a usb hdd lol.
    Anyone know how long it takes to copy 2000+ audio files and 1000+ pictures over a SATA to usb (1.0) cable? lol. A loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time :(

I think ill go get her a new hdd. This one is 3+ years old. Most of my hdd seem to start to die, or act critically injured after the 3yr mark :(

9. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    How much data does she store? Not a lot I guess. Want to try one of these for fun?

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a258128.html

SSD 32GB approx GBP 90

IT's not the fastest IDE SSD, but more than enough (ie better) that what you are replacing. Cool. Silent. Probably will improve system "feel" ie. response time due to nil access time. But write times are slow, so only do this if the laptop doesnt make major use of pagefile. Does the laptop have 1GB+? If so, would be OK.

PS. If you want to spend a little more, get a faster drive, not a bigger one.