1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maybe we need to raise the PPD requirement for stars?

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by [Ion], Oct 12, 2012.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My thought is that with the introduction of GPU WUs recently, practically everyone can get far higher PPD than before. IIRC, we were requiring 12k PPD for the "Five-Star" Cruncher badge, which I think made a lot of sense; that could be accomplished with 3/4 OCed quads running full blast and was consequently reserved for a "select few".

Now, a single Geforce GTX470 coupled with a Core 2 Duo can get 16-17k PPD. My preference, and I certainly want team input on it, is that we consider doubling the PPD requirements for stars (or at least 4-stars and 5-stars). Perhaps even increasing them more; given that with two $100 GPUs you can now get ~30k+ PPD, we may even want a higher requirement.

What do you guys think? Are things good as they are, or, if not, how should they be changed?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I would say no cause its the same as CPU's, There are not going to be many people doing the GPU's 24/7 due to gaming and such.
    [Ion] and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    I think I agree with Brandon here. There is just a top few that actually fill up the 5 stars, and many struggle to get 1 star.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    I like it the way it is.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The GPU's are gonna help out with PPD but not something drastic. GPU's put out more wattage than CPU's and would need more PSU power which = to power bill.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I would say to wait and see how long these GPU work units last for and then make this kind of decision. What would happen if these wu's dried up after a month or two and we changed it so you would need something like 40k ppd for 5 stars?
    Daimus, [Ion] and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I agree with norton:p
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your input guys! :toast:
    I think it does make sense to wait and see what happens w/ the GPU WUs and how much they do change things and how long they last :toast:
    Daimus, Norton and brandonwh64 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I vote to leave it the way it is. Like was said earlier there are some that fight just to get one star and it wouldn't be right to take that away from them if they can't gpu crunch.

Maybe there can be a way to add another color star for those that also Gpu crunching. It's not that hard to tell who is gpu crunching either. Like with me I had a 1055t that did 13k yesterday. Gpu cruncher. Oh that reminds me I con down clock this system now. as the oc isn't doing jack for gpu units.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Every time a movement to change the system is brought up it always causes some tension between those for and against it- so I say leave it as is. Too many variables to consider anyway- what if someone doesn't run a GPU or doesn't participate in that project?

I'm glad GPU Crunching makes things more efficient- I remember the power bill when I ran an i7 Quad, Phenom II Quad, and random Athlon Quads/Duals, etc to increase production. It was awful and so was the heat. Now we have the ability to work smarter, and those who don't get free power can still get production without the need to power multiple built out computers.

I just don't see a point in making the totals higher just so someone who doesn't have the means to run a handful of computers is denied stars on their badge simply to keep 5 Star badges to a handful of people. Something about that screams elitist to me.
    AlienIsGOD and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU