1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MBR keeps corrupting after restart

Discussion in 'General Software' started by techbuzz, Aug 26, 2013.

1. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    I have a machine that when restarted or allowed to go into hibernation, I receive a missing/corrupted master boot record message and Windows doesn't boot. I am able to successfully repair the MBR each time using Windows recovery console, but I'm unable to determine what keeps making it happen.

Dell Latitude E6420
    Windows 7 64bit

Steps performed so far: -besides fixing the MBR after each restart or hibernation
    -ran system file checker sfc /scannow
    -ran chkdsk
    -verified that ACHI was enabled in the bios

If I can't figure this out I will end up just reinstalling the operating system, but I worried that the issue with just reoccur later down the line. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    It is likely the "System Reserved" partition causing problems. Boot with the Win 7 disk. Click Install now and custom install. There you will see the System Reserved partition. Format it(do not delete it). Then perform a repair 2 times consecutively. One auto repair will occur at first. And then do a startup repair from the same "Repair your computer" section. Exit and reboot. Let Windows boot. Reactivate Windows if necessary.

3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Do you have more than one hard drive in the computer?

5. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    Yes! The system reserved partition was marked as active for some crazy reason. I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Anyway, I changed it and now the issue seems to be resolved.